-In a move completely opposite to the Robin Hood legend of charity it seems the Gupta plan was allegedly to steal from the poor to give to to rich
-A complicated web of interconnected players and companies have shown more of the story behind the family's plan to become even more wealthy at the expense of South Africa
-The timing of matters mentioned in #GuptaLeak emails and tenders awarded have raised even more questions for investigators to explore
“I am one of the people who ran errands for the Gupta family and helped set up Mediosa’s operations and administration. I am also leaving for home. I can’t be here when it is clear that things are not working out and everyone is on the run.”
These words from a man who is known only as a "senior staff member" who worked closely with Mediosa directors Inish Merchant and Sundeep Kalsi, tell of how carefully planned the capture of South African state resources was.
Briefly.co.za gathers that Mediosa directors Merchant and Kalsi have also fled the country to avoid prosecution.
The Mediosa staffer said they, like the Guptas, were quick to jump ship when investigators began closing in. “The Mediosa directors are out of country fearing the Hawks inquiry. Inish Merchant left hurriedly on February 14, the day the Hawks raided the Guptas’ Saxonwold home and Sundeep Kalsi never returned after he left in January, " he told newspaper, City Press.
According to the #GuptaLeaks, Rajesh Gupta was involved in ensuring that Merchant’s visa application in 2015 was processed by way of the family’s company Sahara Computers.
Apparently though, government wasn't the only target of Mediosa. Last year in April the company wrote to Eskom making the following business pitch: “We would like to combine our services with yours through Eskom’s entrepreneurship development programme so that we could reach out to the masses to create a deeper impact”.
It is worth noting that at the power utility was, at that same time, already in a controversial coal supply contract with Gupta-owned mining firm Tegeta.
Mediosa, previously known as Cureva when it won its first mobile clinic contract from the Free State health department in 2015 has reportedly already seen more than 20 000 patients in North West alone, none of whom it even treats, merely screening them and referring patients to the department’s clinics for treatment.
READ ALSO: Zuma refuses to accept the NPA's decision
Cureva’s founders include Medanta’s Sachdeva and Gupta-linked businessman Kuben Moodley, a former adviser to former mineral resources minister Mosebenzi Zwane who resigned from Mediosa in June last year.
Two Dubai-based companies – HSP Plus, represented by Gupta lieutenant Gurdeep Singh and Metric Plus – would receive R650 from the R954 the company would charge the state per patient.
“I know some money has already left the country to Dubai through this arrangement,” said the former employee.
Mediosa’s contract is under threat after tender process irregularities were exposed in the media recently. North West health department is alleged to have handed it the tender, without competitive bidding, paying the sum of R30m before any patients were even seen.
However the timing of all the various parts of the puzzle cause questions to be raised about the businesses legitimacy. GuptaLeak emails seem to indicate that Rajesh received cost calculations of the mobile clinic project before the Free State tender was awarded and before Sachdeva established Cureva.
Meanwhile, a video posted online last year showed plans for the Guptas’ Dubai hospital along with Sachdeva and his Medanta co-founder Naresh Trehan, as well as the faces of the Gupta brothers with Sachdeva and a destination sign that reads “Dubai: The largest medical destination in the world”.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story or follow our editors on twitter by following @BrieflySA.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.