Police offer R500 000 reward for info on petrol bomb attack which killed 6 miners

Police offer R500 000 reward for info on petrol bomb attack which killed 6 miners

- Limpopo police chiefs have established a task team to investigate the deadly petrol bomb attack on a mining staff transport bus

- 6 Miners were burned beyond recognition in the attack on Monday evening

- Police are offering a reward of up to R500 000 for information which leads to the arrest of those responsible

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

Limpopo police commissioner, Lieutenant General Nneka Ledwaba, has established a task team to investigate the deadly petrol bomb attack on a mining staff transport bus, which took place on Monday evening.

Six miners were killed in the attack, while 28 other miners sustained injuries. The attack took place at Driekop Village outside of Burgersfort when the bus stopped at a pick-up point at around 8 pm.

READ ALSO: Tshwane sinkholes eroding city budget with repair costs of between R30m and R45m each

The six miners were killed instantly by the petrol bomb and were burned beyond recognition. The bus caught fire immediately and burned out to nothing but a shell. At the time of the attack, the bus had about 50 mine workers on-board.

Briefly.co.za gathered that police have offered a reward of up to R500 000 for any information which leads to the arrest of the suspects.

The task team is made up of members of the Hawks, Limpopo provincial organised crime unit and provincial crime intelligence unit.

"Preliminary investigations indicate that the Segweka Bus Service was busy collecting Modikwa Platinum Mine workers‚ going for a night shift‚ between 20:00 and 21:00 on Monday 2018-04-02. When the bus stopped at Driekop bus stop‚ two unknown suspects got into the bus and set it alight‚ using a highly flammable liquid. They then jumped out‚ leaving behind the bus already engulfed in huge flames‚" Brigadier Motlafela Mojapelo said.

Mojapelo said police officials have not established a motive for the attack as yet.

“We will not sleep until the people responsible for this gruesome incident are apprehended‚” said General Ledwaba. “We call on community members to assist the police in their quest to swiftly crack this case and any valuable information received will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.”

Ledwaba said investigators would not rest until those responsible for the horrendous attack had been brought to justice, he said investigators were currently following up on leads and were hopeful of cracking the case in the near future.

READ ALSO: Winnie Madikizela-Mandela: Roadmap of a legend

Chances are that you have heard of Bill Gates or Warren Buffet, two of the richest people in the world, but can you name one of Africa's top 5 richest men? We have compiled this amazing video which brings you Africa's richest 5 people. Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.

Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Fake kidnappers post goes viral and endangers the lives of two men

Fake kidnappers post goes viral and endangers the lives of two men

Fake kidnappers post goes viral and endangers the lives of two men
Briefly.co.za