Nelson Mandela is widely seen as one of the greatest and wisest people ever to have walked on the planet. Before his death, Madiba was famous for handing out evergreen pieces of advice and his legacy lives on through some of his most famous quotes.
PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!
Despite the evils which the apartheid government inflicted on him personally and on his people in general, Mandela committed himself to reconciliation and the spirit of forgiveness.
Those closest to the great man said he lived a full life despite or perhaps because of being locked away for 27 years. Madiba learned to treasure every moment life gave, a lesson most people will do well to learn.
Briefly.co.za has collected 19 of Madiba’s most inspiring quotes for you to enjoy, his words will remain in our hearts forever.
1. I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one’s head pointed toward the sun, one’s feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.
2. I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.
3. Difficulties break some men but make others. No axe is sharp enough to cut the soul of a sinner who keeps on trying, one armed with the hope that he will rise even in the end.
4. It always seems impossible until it’s done.
5. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace.
6. Real leaders must be ready to sacrifice all for the freedom of their people.
7. A fundamental concern for others in our individual and community lives would go a long way in making the world the better place we so passionately dreamt of.
8. Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do.
9. Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
10. For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
11. Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.
12. There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
13. Money won’t create success, the freedom to make it will.
14. We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right.
15. Man’s goodness is a flame that can be hidden but never extinguished
16. Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.
17. I like friends who have independent minds because they tend to make you see problems from all angles.
18. A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.
19. When people are determined they can overcome anything.
For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit our new Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.