- Lionel Messi has reportedly overtaken Ronaldo as the highest earner in football
- French Football Magazine claims Messi has raked in more money this season than Ronaldo
- Manchester United coach Jose Mourinho is also said to be topping the managers' chart
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has reportedly overtaken his Real Madrid rival Cristiano Ronaldo as the highest earner in world football while Jose Mourinho tops the managers' chart.
This is according to a report by French Football Magazine who claimed that Lionel Messi has made more money this season than his opponent Ronaldo.
The report stated that Messi pulled in 126 million euros ($154m) in salary, bonuses and commercial revenue while his great Real Madrid rival is making 94m euros.
Messi's figures works out at €25,000 per minute pitch time this season for Messi in La Liga, the Champions League, the Spanish Cup and Supercup and four international appearances for Argentina this season,
Last season, the figure was different as Cristiano Ronaldo led with 87.5m euros with Messi on 76.5m euros.
Lionel Messi and Ronaldo are said to be followed by Paris Saint-Germain's Brazilian star Neymar on 81.5m euros in the calculations to be published by France Football on Tuesday, April 24.
Among coaches, Manchester United's Mourinho remains the biggest earner with 26 mn euros.
Top 5 player earners (gross wages, bonuses and commercial revenue in the 2017-2018 season):
1. Lionel Messi (ARG/Barcelona): 126 million euros
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (POR/Real Madrid: 94million euros
3. Neymar (BRA/Paris Saint-Germain): 81.5 million euros
4. Gareth Bale (WAL/Real Madrid): 44 million euros
5. Gerard Pique (ESP/Barcelona): 29 million euros
Top 5 coaches (gross wages, bonuses and commercial revenue in the 2017-2018 season):
1. Jose Mourinho (POR/Manchester United): 26 million euros
2. Marcello Lippi (ITA/China): 23 million euros
3. Diego Simeone (ARG/Atletico Madrid): 22 million euros
4. Zinedine Zidane (FRA/Real Madrid): 21 million euros
5. Pep Guardiola (ESP/Manchester City): 20 million euros
Lionel Messi has been superb this season for Barcelona who are topping the Spanish La Liga standings and they have also won the Copa del Rey title this term.
On Saturday, Barcelona produced astonishing performance as they defeated Sevilla 5-0 to win the 2017/18 Copa del Rey title at the Estadio Wanda Metropolitano.
The match was a total condemnation for Sevilla as Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Andres Iniesta scored for Barcelona who are also on the verge of winning the Spanish La Liga title.
Former Liverpool striker Luis Suarez scored the first goal for Barcelona in the 14th minute after a wonderful assist from Philippe Coutinho.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.