DA calls on Ramaphosa to remove Supra Mahumapelo from office

DA calls on Ramaphosa to remove Supra Mahumapelo from office

- The DA has slammed President Cyril Ramaphosa for not removing North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo

- The party says Mahumapelo remaining in office proved Ramaphosa cancelled his UK visit as a PR stunt

- Mahikeng was engulfed by violent protests last week as residents demanded Mahumapelo’s removal from office

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

The Democratic Alliance (DA) has slammed President Cyril Ramaphosa for not removing the Premier of the North West Province, Supra Mahumapelo from office. The party said the president needed to act in the interests of the people of the province and remove ‘Zuma’s protégé’.

The DA said the fact that Ramaphosa did not remove Mahumapelo proved that he had cancelled his trip to the UK as a PR stunt and only paid the province a visit to put on a show.

READ ALSO: Farmer hands himself over to police after allegedly driving over EFF member in racist attack

Mahikeng was engulfed in violent protests for much of last week as residents demanded Mahumapelo either resign or is recalled by the ANC. Calm was restored after Ramaphosa urged residents to allow the ANC to probe allegations against Mahumapelo and his provincial government.

Briefly.co.za gathered that the DA was unimpressed that Ramaphosa was scheduled to fly to Angola on Tuesday while Mahumapelo remained in office.

“We note that Ramaphosa will jet off to the Republic of Angola on Tuesday while Mahumapelo remains in office and the North West burns,” the party said on Monday.

The DA condemned the violence in the province and said the protests signalled a failure of leadership and governance at all levels.

The ANC’s leadership feared that a bloodbath could result if they moved to remove Mahumapelo. “There would have been mayhem here in Mahikeng had he [Mahumapelo] been fired. Innocent people were going to die so Cyril did well,” a North West ANC official said.

At least 23 people have been charged in relation to the violent protests last week, most face charges of malicious damage to property and public violence.

The ANC’s top six leaders are still engaged in meetings to try and determine a way forward in the province.

Police have maintained a strong presence in Mahikeng and will continue to monitor the situation until further notice.

READ ALSO: Alleged soccer hooligan’s sister defends her brother says he is a Pirates fan

For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit our new Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.

Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Cyril Ramaphosa maintains Bosasa incident was a miscommunication

Cyril Ramaphosa maintains Bosasa incident was a miscommunication

Cyril Ramaphosa maintains Bosasa incident was a miscommunication
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel