- Emmanuel Sithole passed away after a xenophobic attack
- Well-wishers fundraised to help his family
- The funds were used to build his family in Mozambique a house
The mother of a xenophobic attack victim finally has a brick home thanks to Sunday Times readers and other well-wishers.
Sara Machava's son, Emmanuel Sithole, was attacked by knife-wielding men in Alexandra township, Gauteng, in April 2015.
The incident was caught on camera, and Emmanuel passed away later in hospital. Three years later, Machava as well as Emmanuel's two widows and three children can live in a decent house.
Speaking to Sunday Times in the living room of the new three-roomed house in rural Mozambique, Machava thanked South Africans for their donations. She said:
It was because of love ... you did this.
She expressed how happy having the house made her, adding that it would save her a lot of time and work in the rainy season.
The new house has a corrugated iron roof. Previously, Machava had to fetch grass to thatch her mud house again during rainy seasons, a process that took six weeks.
Sunday Times first delivered a bicycle, water tank, water purifier, solar panel and four goats.
The publication later worked with volunteers in Mozambique to ensure the house was built. They included Heike Friedhoff, a German women's activist working locally, and the Rev Jacob Jenhuro of the United Methodist Church.
Machava asked South Africans to keep praying for Emanuel's children. She said although they know he passed away, they do not know that he was killed.
Watch a satirical guide on how to be an African president in the video below from our Briefly - South Africa YouTube channel.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.