Supra won’t just stand around and let the ANC sack him

Supra won’t just stand around and let the ANC sack him

- Threats of bloodshed if Supra is forced to step down as North West leader

- Andre Duvenhage, among others, feel that this will not be an easy task

- However, the ANC and EFF are certain that it will be done

PAY ATTENTION: Click 'See First' under 'Following' tab to see Briefly news on your news feed.

Threats of a bloodbath in the province have come from diehard supporters of the influential leader in the North West. This is if he is forced to step down.

Monday will be D-day, as the ANC national executive committee (NEC) will prepare to gather to finally axe North West Premier, Supra Mahumapelo.

This is not going to happen with controversy, and the party could have a tough fight on their hands. Mahumapelo’s allies in the province have expressed steadfast support for him.

The NEC is expected to action a decision taken by the party’s national working committee (NWC) on Wednesday to recall Mahumapelo as premier. Sources have said that accompanying the axing of Mahumapelo, will be the disbanding of his ANC provincial executive committee (PEC)

Andre Duvenhage, a political analyst from North West University, feels the task at hand to remove the influential leader will not be easy. Mahumapelo commands massive respect within the provincial ANC and at grassroots level.

Duvenhage added: “You cannot exclude the possibility of violence in North West … Supra is going to fight, he knows he has strong support and is very influential.”

Through a statement issued yesterday, the provincial leadership expressed its unwavering support for Mahumapelo.

READ ALSO: Ramaphosa issues ultimatum to Supra: Step down or be fired

Once the statement was delivered, PEC members and those loyal supporters verbally said they would turn the province into a bloodbath should the removal of Mahumapelo come to light.

China Dodovu, former ANC provincial deputy chairperson, and some ANC activists opposed to Mahumapelo, have no doubt the Mahumapelo will be axed on Monday. Dodovu and Mahumapelo had several run-ins with each other when he saw Dodovu as a threat to his position as chair. Dodovu is convinced that the premier would “be history” on Monday.

Current PEC members have been warned by Dodovu not to resist the NEC decision to recall Mahumapelo. Dodovu is confident that Mahumapelo and his PEC would not resist and instead he would opt to resign.

“I disagree with the notion that without Supra, this province would not progress. Mahumapelo sidelined many notable and dependable comrades, messed up the entire state system and looted the state completely. This was a pure kleptocratic state that Supra ran in the North West,” Dodovu said.

Mahumapelo marginalised and finally banished both Dodovu and former provincial secretary Kabelo Mataboge from the ANC leadership. Mahumapelo’s explanation for his actions was that Dodovu and Mataboge were identified as threats.

The decision by the NEC to remove Mahumapelo was to avoid further destruction of property by North West residents. They were protesting, demanding improved services and the resignation of Mahumapelo

Last week, a Cabinet task team led by Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, the minister in the presidency for planning, monitoring and evaluation, was deployed by President Cyril Ramaphosa to intervene and stabilise governance in the province.

ANC national spokesperson Pule Mabe said the team would meet Mahumapelo to thrash out “constructive options” to resolve the ongoing impasse in the “interest of the people and the movement broadly”.

This was immediately interpreted to mean the NEC would ask Mahumapelo to resign voluntarily, instead of being pushed out.

Indications were clear that the dismissal of Mahumapelo, is favourably with the majority in the ANC NWC.

Visit our YouTube channel at Briefly - South Africa YouTube channel.

Do you have a story to share with us? Go to our Facebook page and leave a comment.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
"Fake kidnappers prank" goes viral as two men live in fear of their lives

Fake kidnappers post goes viral and endangers the lives of two men

Fake kidnappers post goes viral and endangers the lives of two men
Briefly.co.za