- An angry group of ANC members plan to take the ANC to court after the Free State leadership elections this weekend.
- The group claims that the ANC did not adhere to a court ruling about the delegates involved in the elections
- This could be yet blow to the ANC before the elections of 2019
A few days before the ANC's national conference at Nasrec last year, the party was informed by the High Court in Bloemfontein that "the branches that participated at the conference should be properly reconstituted before credible provincial elections could be held".
This has not been done. Of the 14 branches, only 5 has been reconstituted. And yet, the ANC went ahead with the provincial elective conference and elected a new Free State provincial leader.
Now the possibility exists that the ANC could be facing contempt of the court charges very soon.
Ace Magashule has moved into the ANC's headquarters after he was elected as secretary-general. Magashule has been in charge of the Free State's political affairs for more than 30 years.
He will still be having a say in the Free State political affairs.
Sam Mashinini, the new provincial leader, and his executives were elected over the weekend behind closed doors, and there was no possibility for any opposition to be heard.
Many people were upset that the conference had been held despite the requirements placed by the High Court not being met. A group of upset ANC members said on Sunday that they will be going to court over the matter. They want to have the weekend's provincial elective conference to be set aside - again.
The public is also upset about how the elections were handled.
The acting spokesperson for the group, Monnapule Ntamo has stated that the group had sent several questions to the Free State provincial task team before the weekend's conference to inquire about the credentials of the conference.
The group says that the conference has been run with the very same disputed delegates as the last time. Furthermore, they say that there weren't any nomination forms for the leadership positions.
You cannot take the same delegates into the conference and say this is a continuation of a conference that was nullified.
We warned them that if they go to conference it will be contempt of court because the court ordered that there are certain branches which were not properly constituted at that time, which is 14 branches.
The ANC defended their actions by saying that while it is true that only 5 of the branches has rerun their meetings successfully, the other branches stayed out of the conference and didn't participate.
As for the lack of nomination forms - ANC Free State spokesman Thabo Meeko stated that it was decided that the nominations would not need forms as it would be done from the floor and all the delegates had agreed with the decision.
The group has said that if the ANC's national leaders did not intervene in this matter they would be holding a separate conference.
Pule Mabe, ANC's national spokesman, stated that any conferences would have to be signed off by Magashule. According to Mabe there is a dispute resolution committee that has been put in place for issues like these.
"We are going to have to do things according to the rules of the ANC.
If this case does go further and the ANC is found guilty of contempt of court charges it could hurt the already fragile state of the party's public image.
Watch the Top-5: How to be an African president - detailed guide and other videos on Briefly South Africa's YouTube channel.
What do you think of the way the elections were done? Let us know on our Facebook page and we could share your opinion.