- A woman shared an inspirational story of how a kind stranger saved her life when she had an allergic reaction to a bee sting
- Nicole Gillian Morgan had been stung a few times in her life by a bee and never did she have an allergic reaction
- Until the 28th of April 2016, when she almost died, was it not for the kindness and quick thinking of a stranger.
Nicole Gillian Morgan was with her son and a friend on Thursday 28th of April 2016, when she was stung by bee.
“I went to meet a friend at Cedar Square to collect a pair of sunglasses with my 6-year-old son, Mikey. We were standing saying our goodbyes when I put my bag on my shoulder and suddenly felt a sensation like I was being burnt by a hot poker and looked under my arm only to realize that I had been stung by a bee!”, she wrote in a Facebook post.
Morgan added she had been stung by a bee twice before in her life, and had no allergic reaction. So, her friend only gave her an Allergix tablet and she went on her way.
However, when she and her son was in Pick ‘n Pay, Morgan noticed she was not feeling well, in fact her hands started to tremble, she struggled to breathe and her heart was pounding fast.
“I was about to pay I was suddenly overcome with a feeling of complete panic as my hands started throbbing, as did my heart, head and ears (my entire body for that matter) along with a feeling that I couldn't breath and said to Mikey we had to go. I remember the cashiers looking at me very strangely as I walked away leaving my groceries behind.”, she explained.
Morgan said she attempted to call her friend, but she did not pick up so she phoned her husband to inform him she was having an allergic reaction to a bee sting.
“He said I should go to the chemist, but at this stage I could hardly breath and had to sit down in the walk way. My son started to cry and pulled on my shirt saying come lets go mommy and I said to him I'm sorry boy I can't move.”
She explained an elderly man asked her what’s wrong and she explained she’s having an allergic reaction, asking him if he had an epipen with him- but, he did not.
“A lady then came racing towards me and asked what had happened and I said again I'd been stung by a bee, she asked for my medical aid card which I happened to leave at my doctor on Monday and opened my phone to where I had saved my medical aid no. I gave her my phone and she said she was going to get me some Allergix. I remember thinking to myself that I was way too far gone for any over the counter drugs to help me and that I was going to die, as nobody including myself knew what to do and that I didn't have a lot of time left!”, Morgan recalled.
However, Briefly.co.za learned just as it seemed all hope was lost, a man came running towards her and knelt beside her to find out what is wrong and how he could help.
The man was Obakeng Seutane. She explained her situation to him and added she needed to go tp the hospital, then she lost consciousness.
“He dispersed the crowd that had gathered around me and put my hands behind my head to help open up my constricted wind pipe and then calmed my son down. He then told Mikey that he was going to take me to the hospital and got me up with the help of another man and carried/dragged me down the passage towards his car. He put me in the backseat and strapped me in (God only knows how, as I was still unconscious throughout). He put my son into the front seat, introduced himself and explained to Mikey that he was going to have to drive very fast to get his mom to the hospital (Life Hospital.”
Seutane got her to the hospital, where she was given several adrenaline shots in her chest, as well as various different antihistamines.
Morgan said Seutane stayed with her son the entire time. When things did not look good for Morgan, they went to her son to find out what her husband’s contact number was.
She explained her son gave Seutane her cellphone and asked him to search for his father, Ross's number.
“The nurse called Ross to say he better hurry up as it wasn't looking good. My body had begun shutting down to the point where my bowels had released on the emergency table. My mother in law arrived at the hospital before my husband and said thank you to Obakeng and that he didn't have to stay any longer if he wanted to go. He said he's not going anywhere until he knows that I am alright and continued to wait with Mikey and my mother in law.”
Luckily doctors managed to stabilize her and she regained consciousness in the ICU, completely unaware of the events that followed her passing out.
“I am unable to recall anything at all from the time I fell unconscious at Cedar Square until I woke up in ICU at 19:30 that night and remember thinking to myself, Wowee, I a am actually here! I am alive!!! All thanks to my son, whose terrified face caught Obakeng's eye as he was walking past on his way to gym with his earphones on and decided that we needed his help!”.
A few days later she had the opportunity to meet the man who saved her life, one who she now calls her “human Angel”.
“From our meeting I was further shocked to learn that this amazing human is a mere 20 years old studying at Varsity college. He has given me my life, restored my faith in the youth of South Africa and in fact humanity as a whole and I can honestly say that he has made me see life in a completely different way! Thank you Obakeng, there are no words to describe my gratitude!”
Read the entire Facebook post below:
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
Top 5 richest men in South Africa on Briefly. Everyone, quick: off the top of your head, name a billionaire. Now, think hard and name two or three South African billionaires. How about more? Don’t worry, we have gathered this extremely interesting information for you!