Police Minister happy and impressed with latest cash-in-transit arrests

Police Minister happy and impressed with latest cash-in-transit arrests

- Police have arrested another six suspects linked to cash-in-transit heists, this brings the total up to 21 arrests for the month of June

- The Police Ministry said Minister Bheki Cele was happy and impressed with the latest arrest

- Last week Cele announced a high-profile operation which aims to drive down the rate of cash-in-transit heists, armed robberies and hijackings

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

Police officers have arrested another six suspects in connection with cash-in-transit heists. The Police Ministry did not release any additional details surrounding the arrests due to the investigation still being at a ‘sensitive’ stage.

The latest arrests bring the total number of arrests for the month of June up to 21. The ministry said Police Minister Bheki Cele was happy and impressed by the latest arrest and the apparent success of the high-profile operation to drive down the rate of aggravated robberies.

READ ALSO: Limpopo politicians treat themselves to R8 million in luxury cars

On Tuesday, cash-in-transit companies staged a march through the streets of Johannesburg and handed over a memorandum to Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane. Security guards and drivers are demanding that real action is taken to improve their security.

Briefly.co.za gathered that Cele announced the formation of a high-visibility, intelligence-driven and well-staffed operation with the aim of reducing the number of cash-in-transit heists, armed robberies, hijackings and other violent crimes.

Cele’s office released a statement which said: “Since the implementation of these interventions on 4 June 2018 several suspects have been arrested and firearms, money and even explosives and explosive devices have been seized. More importantly, no cash-in-transit heists have been reported since then.”

According to Cele, the operation had succeeded in appending a suspect who is believed to be second in command of one of the syndicates responsible for cash-in-transit heists. EWN.co.za reported that the suspect is among the top 20 most wanted cash-in-transit criminals in South Africa.

The minister said the operation was yielding positive results and it would continue to hit criminals hard until he and his department were satisfied that all those who are terrorising ordinary South Africans were brought to justice.

Parliament is set to discuss the issue of cash-in-transit heists on Wednesday. The police portfolio committee will meet with cash-in-transit stakeholders to discuss the current state of the industry.

Police figures suggest there have been upwards of 180 attacks on cash-in-transit vehicles in 2018 alone.

READ ALSO: 'He's an inspiration': Girl praises dad who lost his hands but still works as a builder

For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.

Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Woman sues DA for R10m after job interview was conducted in a toilet

Woman sues DA for R10m after job interview was conducted in a toilet

Woman sues DA for R10m after job interview was conducted in a toilet
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel