Orlando Pirates release van Heerden and promise to unveil even more new players

Orlando Pirates release van Heerden and promise to unveil even more new players

- Orlando Pirates have confirmed the departure of defender Marc van Heerden

- The club has also promised to announce additional new players in the near future

- On Monday, the Buccaneers announced eight new players had joined the squad

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

Orlando Pirates have confirmed the departure of defender Marc van Heerden. His release is part of the club’s strategy to bolster and strengthen its playing squad ahead of the CAF Champions League.

On Monday, the club announced that it had come to a mutual agreement with van Heerden to terminate his contract early. Van Heerden joined the club in January last year, but failed to secure a permanent starting spot during his 18 months at the Buccaneers.

READ ALSO: Watch the Saudi Arabian soccer team airplane catch fire mid-flight over Russia

Pirates were widely expected to release a raft of players after announcing the addition of eight new players to the squad and promising even more new players before the start of the African campaign.

Briefly.co.za gathered that the club’s administrative manager Floyd Mbele said the side had to strengthen its playing squad for the upcoming CAF African Champions League. Mbele said the Buccaneers would announce more signings in the coming weeks.

This comes after Pirates announced the arrival of Kaizer Chiefs goalkeeper Brilliant Khuzwayo, Chippa United trio of Linda Mntambo, Paseka Mako and Abel Mabaso, Mamelodi Sundowns duo of Asavela Mbekile and Kudakwashe Mahachi, Bidvest Wits midfielders Vincent Pule and Ben Motshwari as well as Black Leopards attacker Meshack Maphangule.

Goal.com reported that Mbele said the strengthening of the playing squad was nothing new and was actually an ongoing process.

Mbele said because Pirates would be competing and trying to win the African league next season it needed to boost its player numbers. He said if the club wanted to do well it needed to ensure there were enough players to rotate.

He pointed out that SuperSport United had struggled in the domestic season during 2017 after reaching the finals of the CAF League. In that instance, player fatigue was blamed for the poor performance.

“We've seen where have the other teams ended on the log after playing in continental competitions. We don't want to be victims,” Mbele said.

Mbele said the Buccaneers did not want to sacrifice domestic performance to do well on the continent.

Reports suggest that Mpho Makola, Thabo Matlaba, Issa Sarr, Thamsanqa Sangweni and Justice Chabalala are some of the players who are thought to be on the chopping block when the transfer window opens in July.

READ ALSO: Benni McCarthy shares what needs to be done to score more goals during PSL

For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.

Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Mamelodi Sundowns star Lebohang Maboe follows in father’s footsteps

Mamelodi Sundowns star Lebohang Maboe follows in his dad’s footsteps

Mamelodi Sundowns star Lebohang Maboe follows in his dad’s footsteps
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel