Thuli Madonsela says SuperSport’s investigation into Ashwin Willemse was doomed to fail

Thuli Madonsela says SuperSport’s investigation into Ashwin Willemse was doomed to fail

- Former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela has weighed in on the Ashwin Willemse saga

- Madonsela took to Twitter to criticise SuperSport’s handling of the matter

- According to Madonsela SuperSport’s approach to the matter doomed the investigation to fail before it had even started

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

Former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela has for the first time spoken about the Ashwin Willemse saga. Madonsela took to Twitter to criticise SuperSport’s handling of the matter. She said the broadcaster’s approach to the matter doomed the investigation to fail before it had even started.

Madonsela said SuperSport took the laws and rights approach to the matter, something which was in her opinion, never at the heart of the matter. She said, affirming and correctly managing diversity was actually the crux of the case.

READ ALSO: Cosatu wants to reconsider king Goodwill's hold on land

Madonsela noted that the inquiry started from a point of trying to find a guilty party in regards to racisms, this she said was completely the wrong approach.

Briefly.co.za gathered that SuperSport released the results of the independent inquiry it had ordered into the matter on Tuesday. The inquiry was headed by Advocate Vincent Maleka.

Maleka heard from all of the parties involved in the matter apart from Willemse himself. The former Springbok refused to take part in the hearings and maintained that the inquiry was a thinly veiled attempt to veil institutionalised racism.

Thesouthafrican.com reported that SuperSport has confirmed that Willemse still had a contract with the broadcaster and officials were hoping to meet with him in the coming days to discuss a way forward.

SuperSport CEO confirmed that Mallet and Botha would be returning to on-air duties in the near future.

Meanwhile, Willemse confirmed via his lawyer Nqobizitha Milo that he would be referring the incident to the South African Equality Court and ask the institution to investigate the matter.

Milo said his client’s human rights and dignity had been infringed upon by the handling of the matter by SuperSport.

Milo revealed that Willemse, Botha and Mallet had a history of conflict, something which the broadcaster had been aware of because all three parties had raised concerns through internal processes.

Mallet confirmed that he had on various occasions requested not to be rostered to work with Willemse because he and Willemse did not get along and ‘irritate the hell out of each other’.

READ ALSO: Top football stars who could be playing their last World Cup in 2018

For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.

Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Fort Hare student suspended as viral video shows flying kicks against a female

Fort Hare student suspended as viral video shows flying kicks against a female

Drama at Fort Hare university as female student is kicked helplessly on her body
Briefly.co.za