- Jamie Foxx celebrates ‘Black Panther’, Childish Gambino
- Rapper Meek Mill debuted a new single since being released from prison in April
- Nicki Minaj leaves after losing to Cardi B
The 18th Annual BET Awards took place on the 24th of June at the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles and Briefly.co.za is here to bring you all the deets! The ceremony was hosted by Jamie Foxx and marked his second time as MC of the show. Foxx kicked off the event by telling viewers he was there to celebrate. He invited "Black Panther" star Michael B. Jordan to the stage and asked him to recite a line from the film, "Bury me in the ocean with my ancestors who jumped from ships, ‘cause they knew death was better than bondage."
The ’Django Unchained’ star later invited Childish Gambino to join him on stage and thanked him for his socially conscious song, "This Is America."
Rapper Meek Mill debuted a new single since being released from prison in April titled, "Stay Woke," which explores inequality in the justice system.
While the show itself was thoroughly entertaining, there was plenty of behind-the-scenes action, too. According to www.eonline.com, what viewers didn’t see on TV was female rapper Nicki Minaj leaving the event after losing to Cardi B.
Eight-time Grammy-winning R&B legend Anita Baker was honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award and stars including Jamie Foxx, Yolanda Adams, Marsha Ambriosius, and Ledisi took the stage to sing a number of Anita’s greatest hits as a way to pay tribute to her.
Here is a complete list of the BET Awards 2018 winners:
• Video of the year: Drake
• Best male R&B/pop artist: Bruno Mars
• Best female R&B/pop Artist: Beyoncé
• Best male hip hop artist: Kendrick Lamar
• Best female hip hop artist: Cardi B
• Best new artist: SZA
• Album of the year: “DAMN.” Kendrick Lamar
• Best group: Migos
• Best gospel/inspirational award: Lecrae featuring Tori Kelly
• Best collaboration: DJ Khaled, Rihanna and Bryson Tiller, “Wild Thoughts”
• Young Stars award: Yara Shahidi
• Viewers’ choice award: Cardi B, “Bodak Yellow”
• Video director of the year: Ava DuVernay
• Best actor: Chadwick Boseman
• Best actress: Tiffany Haddish
• Best movie: Black Panther
• Sportswoman of the year: Serena Williams
• Sportsman of the year: LeBron James
• Humanitarian award: Naomi Wadler, Mamoudou Gassama, Justin Blackman, Shaun King, Anthony Borges and James Shaw Jr.
• Lifetime achievement award: Anita Baker
• Ultimate Icon Award: Debra Lee
• BET HER award: Mary J. Blige
• Best international act: Davido (Nigeria)
BEHIND THE SCENES PHOTOS:
Check out this hilarious Animated Joke: Why Do Men Lie? and subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more funny videos.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.