South Africans and the rest of the world are celebrating the 100th birthday of world peace icon Nelson Mandela on Wednesday, 18 July 2018.
Mandela became the father of the nation after the role he played in ending the struggles of those oppressed during apartheid.
Madiba was known for his exceptional ability to forgive and his words of wisdom. So, in honour of his 100th birthday, Briefly.co.za gathered 15 of his most inspirational quotes.
1. "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
2. "A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination."
3. "What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead."
4. "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
5. "I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."
6. "To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity."
7. "There is no passion to be found playing small – in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."
8. "I dream of an Africa which is in peace with itself."
9. "I was not a messiah, but an ordinary man who had become a leader because of extraordinary circumstances."
10. "Never, never and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again experience the oppression of one by another."
11. "There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."
12. "It is wise to persuade people to do things and make them think it was their own idea."
13. "Running taught me valuable lessons. In cross-country competition, training counted more than intrinsic ability, and I could compensate for a lack of natural aptitude with diligence and discipline. I applied this in everything I did."
14. "As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality persist in our world, none of us can truly rest."
15. "Nonviolence is a good policy when the conditions permit."
16. "It always seems impossible until it’s done."
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.
Top 5 richest men in South Africa on Briefly. Everyone, quick: off the top of your head, name a billionaire. Now, think hard and name two or three South African billionaires. How about more? Don’t worry, we have gathered this extremely interesting information for you!