- US President Donald Trump has become infamous for waging so-called Twitter wars since taking office
- The most powerful man in the world has often turned to his favourite social media platform to launch attacks on countries, politicians and rivals
- In February, Trump said Africa has tremendous potential and that many of his friends were making millions thanks to Africa
US President Donald Trump has become infamous for speaking his mind and ignoring the usual rules of international diplomacy. Trump is known to engage in Twitter wars which by all accounts gives the world an insight into what he really thinks about a certain topic.
Since being elected Trump has actually softened his stance on South Africa and in February he told former president Jacob Zuma he would like work on strengthening trade and diplomatic ties between America and South Africa. The government estimates there are about 6,000 American companies operating in South Africa.
Zuma and Trump met once in February at a lunch Trump hosted for African leaders and previous to that meeting spoke on the phone about increasing trade between the countries. It was during this lunch meeting that Trump once again managed to inflame African hearts.
Trump told African leaders that the continent had tremendous potential and that he had many friends who were making millions thanks to Africa. Briefly.co.za takes a look at 5 Tweets which proves what Trump thinks of Africa.
1. South Africa – Before Trump became President he said he really liked Nelson Mandela but the Tweet went completely south from that point on.
2. Somalia – President Trump has taken a harsh stance on Somalia and labelled the country as a terrorist breeding ground. BBC.com reported that Trump enacted a travel ban on people travelling to the US from Somalia, Sudan and Libya.
3. Nigeria – When Trump was campaigning to become president of the United States he promised to expel Nigerians and Mexicans from America because they took all the jobs. Trump has since softened his stance and said only glowing things about the country.
4. Kenya – While US relations improved with Kenya under Barack Obama, Trump seems hell-bent on destroying everything Obama achieved. Trump has not even mentioned Kenya on Twitter but has tried to ignore the vibrant African country and even snubbed its leader at the luncheon.
5. S**thole countries and Nambia – While Trump did not take to Twitter to inflame Africans with this remark it is arguably his most inflammatory remark about the continent.
In a private meeting about the DACA policy, he labelled African countries as s**thole countries. The African Union (AU), Botswana, Ghana and Cameroon launched official protests and called on Trump to apologise.
Trump also seemed to invent a new country during the luncheon in New York. He praised the leaders of Nambia and said the country had a fantastic healthcare system.
The only certainty about the Donald Trump presidency is the uncertainty, one day he is your friend and the next day he will threaten atomic strikes.
For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.