- The PSL has been granted leave to appeal the ruling in the Tendai Ndoro eligibility saga
- Meanwhile, Ajax Cape Town has withdrawn its applications to interdict the start of the new PSL season
- This means the PSL season will get underway on Saturday 4 August as originally scheduled
The Premier Soccer League (PSL) has won the opening exchange of the ongoing legal battle with Ajax Cape Town. The league has been granted leave to appeal the ruling in the Ndorogate eligibility matter and Ajax Cape Town withdrew its application to interdict the start of the new PSL season.
This means South African soccer fans can look forward to the 2018/19 PSL season starting on schedule and as advertised on Saturday 4 August.
The PSL appeared before Judge Denise Fisher in the South Gauteng High Court earlier on Thursday morning in its bid to appeal her original matter which set aside a ruling by SAFA arbitrator William Mokhari and effectively reinstated Ajax to the PSL.
Briefly.co.za gathered that Judge Fisher noted this morning that the PSL had proved that its appeal could reasonably be expected to succeed and she thus granted leave to appeal the judgment in its entirety.
Kickoff.co.za reported that this turn of events led to Ajax Cape Town withdrawing its own application to delay the start of the PSL season because the club decided not to seek immediate reinstatement to the league.
The PSL’s appeal case will now head to the South Gauteng High Court Judge President to have a date allocated. The PSL has filed the appeal as urgent.
Sport24.com reported that PSL chairman Irvin Khoza blasted former Ajax Cape Town striker Tendai Ndoro and said the player had caused the entire scandal because he did not approach the FIFA Player’s Status Committee for clarity on his eligibility to play in the PSL.
Ndoro has since quit Ajax Cape Town and is currently a free agent, his agent said Ndoro was hopeful of being signed to one of the PSL's big three teams before the start of the new season.
The saga has created a lot of negative attention for the PSL and has been embarrassing for the league's leaders. The matter has also caused a lot of uncertainty about which teams and how many teams will take part in the new season.
Some pundits have suggested that the PSL should bite the bullet and expand the league to include 18 teams for this season and relegate extra teams at the end of the year to restore the normal balance.
The League said it had not discussed any such option with its board and would hold off on any such decision until it had received further legal clarity.
Black Leopards who were promoted after winning the promotion playoffs have already threatened to institute its own legal challenge if it is not allowed to take part in the top flight this season.
Some speculation has indicated that Ajax Cape Town could be re-evaluating its stance on the matter and might even be thinking about dropping the matter entirely.
The club’s CEO Ari Efstathiou refused to comment after court proceedings and said Ajax would release a statement regarding the matter in due course.
Ajax has since announced that it will host a media briefing on Friday at 12:00. The briefing will be led by the club's legal adviser.
For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.