Within only a couple of months VAT increased by one percent, petrol prices reached record high amounts and now new statistics showed the unemployment rate increased in the second quarter of 2018.
On Tuesday statistics regarding unemployment were released to the general public. The numbers showed unemployment increased from 26.7% to 27.2% from April to June 2018.
According to reports the increase in unemployment was largely related to jobs being cut in the manufacturing sector.
The new statistics infuriated South Africans, who took to social media to share their views on the serious economic situation.
So, Briefly.co.za decided to gather 10 explosive and honest reactions to the increased unemployment rate.
1. Taking the lead in useless things
2. It is no wonder unemployment is high
3. Foreigners are being hired instead of South Africans
Social media user Kolobe, who goes by the Twitter handle @PlkFlash, wrote: "#Unemployment foreign nationals who flooded in our "once-beautiful country" are getting hired than South Africans for the sake of cheap labor and more profits for money hungry BEE-Comrades-Anc-tender Organization . our people are suffering . SAD!"
4. South Africans study in vain
5. Who cares about the New Dawn, South Africa needs a Trump!
6. Unemployment is a painful reality
7. Is this Ramaphosa's idea of a New Dawn?
8. Political parties want votes but they do nothing to better the people's lives
9. It is time for South Africans to take matters into their own hands
Azee (@TheRealAzee_RSA) wrote, "Waiting for the government to create jobs is a waste of time. Don't sit at home and expect a job to be given to you. Go out there, send your CV and if possible try to start your own business. #Unemployment."
10. The country needs the help of the private sector
What are your thoughts on the high unemployment rate? Leave us a comment on our Facebook page or inbox us your story and we could feature it.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.
Top 5 richest men in South Africa on Briefly. Everyone, quick: off the top of your head, name a billionaire. Now, think hard and name two or three South African billionaires. How about more? Don’t worry, we have gathered this extremely interesting information for you!