- Boitumelo Ngidi sustained severe burns after accidentally falling into a bath of boiling water
- Her family is struggling to cope with her medical bills
- South Africans are therefore fundraising online to help
South Africans are rallying behind five-year-old Boitumelo Ngidi following a home accident in which she sustained severe burns.
Boitumelo was playing with her brother at their home in Mpophomeni township, KwaZulu-Natal, when she accidentally fell into a bath of boiling water on 27 June.
According to Good Things Guy, she sustained burns on her upper limbs, neck, back, and buttocks. She was immediately placed in intensive care at Hilton Life Hospital.
Little Boitumelo was soon discharged because her family's medical aid could no longer cover the cost of ICU. She has to be taken to hospital every two days to change her dressing.
The brave girl also needs occupational and physical therapy as part of her long recovery process. Her family does not have adequate resources to cover all the costs.
Boitumelo's mom, Tumi, also took unpaid leave to care for her daughter, Briefly.co.za learned.
Karen van Lelyveld, Boitumelo's teacher at Heritage House Preschool, therefore started an online fundraising drive on backabuddy.co.za to help the family.
She estimates that the family needs approximately R100,000 for Boitumelo's treatment. Around R10,000 has been raised so far. In an interview, Karen said:
It has been heart-wrenching to see this bubbly little girl in such anguish, but she continues to put on a brave face for her friends who adore her. We hope the public will support our BackaBuddy campaign, so Tumi can get the treatment she needs and return to school full time.
Discover 5 interesting things about top model Melissa Magiera in the video below from our Briefly - South Africa YouTube channel.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.