Shoprite came under fire on social media after photographs went viral, which showed a rat feasting on pastries in one of its stores.
Social media users were left concerned after photos went viral of a rat enjoying R1,99 Gingerbread man cookies in one of Shoprite's stores in Yeoville‚ Joburg.
The photos were shared on Twitter by social media user @Simphiwe_Chef, who dubbed the incident a 'health hazard'.
He captioned the photos: "Dear @Shoprite_SA can We please speak to Nobleman Ndlovu! The Health Condition of the Bakery is a Hazzard as a rodent does as it pleases!!"
The post sparked reaction from South Africans, who called for action to be taken against the severe health violation.
Twitter user @ma_Ndosi wrote: "Oh my word! That Shoprite needs to be shut down. Just last week Somali/Pakistani shops were shut down for safety & health reasons, same needs to happen to Shoprite & Boxer stores ekasi& emafamu...they are always suspect.I'd never buy any fresh food made at any of their stores."
However, Briefly.co.za learned Shoprite has since apologised for the ordeal, adding it was investigating the matter.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
Top 5 African pastor miracles on Briefly - South Africa