Ashwin Willemse won’t return to SuperSport after his contract expired on Thursday

Ashwin Willemse won’t return to SuperSport after his contract expired on Thursday

- SuperSport has announced that Ashwin Willemse will not be making a return to his former or any other duties

- The broadcaster revealed that Willemse’s contract expired on Thursday

- Willemse stormed off the set of a live broadcast more than three months ago and has not been seen on the pay channel since

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

Former Springbok Ashwin Willemse will not be making a return to SuperSport in his previous or any other capacity. The broadcaster announced that Willemse’s contract had expired on Thursday.

SuperSport confirmed that it would not seek to renew the contract at this point in time. The broadcaster would not comment on whether it was willing to enter negotiations with Willemse in the future.

READ ALSO: Stuart Baxter questions wisdom of SAFA decision to host Libya in Durban

Willemse has not been seen on SuperSport since he famously stormed off the set of a live broadcast more than three months ago. The former Springbok claimed his co-hosts Nick Mallet and Naas Botha had belittled him due to his race.

Briefly.co.za gathered that the fallout from the incident not only caused all three presenters to be suspended while SuperSport launched an independent probe into exactly what had happened but also thrust racial tensions into the national spotlight.

In the immediate aftermath, the minister of sport called on SuperSport to summarily dismiss Mallet and Botha, she was later forced to retract this demand.

ThesouthAfrican.com reported that the independent inquiry into the investigation found that there had been longstanding issues between Mallet and Willemse but that those were not race related.

Willemse refused to take part in the inquiry saying that he did not believe the inquiry was the correct forum for the discussions to take place. Willemse said he would instead pursue the matter at the Equality Court.

PAY ATTENTION: Save mobile data with FreeBasics: Briefly is now available on the app

Sport24.com reported that SuperSport confirmed on Thursday that it had as yet not been contacted by the Equality Court and were instead engaged with the Human Rights Commission as was suggested in the outcome of the inquiry.

Both Mallet and Botha have made returns to their previous roles at the broadcaster.

In a radio interview, Willemse said he had contacted both Mallet and Botha in the spirit of reconciliation. He added that the ultimate goal of the process was to promote a sense of understanding and reconciliation between all parties.

Meanwhile, TimesLive.co.za reported that Willemse was surprised to find out in the media that his contract had expired and would not be renewed.

He told the publication that it was something he was not aware of and he had no idea what all the fuss was about.

READ ALSO: Minister spends R116 000 on knives, forks and crockery for her office

For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.

Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Democratic Alliance accused of lacking in gender equality

Democratic Alliance accused of lacking in gender equality

Democratic Alliance accused of lacking in gender equality
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel