- Residents of Soweto have warned foreign shop owners against returning to their shops and homes
- Tension in the area remain high after violent protests and looting led to the death of at least three people last week
- Authorities fear violence could erupt as foreign business owners try to return to their decimated shops
Local residents of Soweto have warned foreign shop and business owners against returning to their shops and homes in the aftermath of the devastating violence which gripped the township last week.
Tensions in Soweto remain high after violent protests and looting led to the deaths of at least three people. Authorities fear violence could once again erupt as dispossessed foreigners try to return to their businesses and homes.
Violence erupted in White City, Soweto last week as angry community members accused foreign shop owners of selling expired and dodgy stock to locals. What began as protest marches quickly turned to unchecked chaotic looting and violence.
Briefly.co.za gathered that at least one person remains in a critically ill condition after suffering a gunshot wound to the head while three other people were also injured.
eNCA.com reported that Soweto residents have warned landlords not to allow foreigners back into the community or their properties will be burned to the ground.
The African National Congress (ANC) has appealed for calm and asked the community to refrain from taking the law into their own hands and engaging in acts of vigilantism.
Former police minister Fikile Mbalula said the ANC would not tolerate barbaric behaviour. Mbalula also asked residents why they had looted the very same shops which they accused of selling expired and fake goods.
SowetanLive.co.za reported that Mbalula told community members stealing from shops which they accused of these crimes meant that they were stealing poison.
Mbalula called on the community to remain active in its fight to end the sale and distribution of fake and expired goods but warned that this should be done in a lawful and peaceful way.
Mbalula now serving as the ANC’s head of elections rubbished claims that the ruling party had only engaged with residents to ensure electoral support in next year’s election.
He said the ANC had a duty to help community members and whether or not there was an election did not impact that duty.
Meanwhile, News24.com reported that police officers discovered a cache of weapons in a private property in Jabulani, Soweto on Wednesday.
Police received an anonymous tip and subsequently discovered a cache containing a shotgun, seven rifles and ammunition for the weapons. Police have not commented on what they thought the weapons were intended for.
The property owner is being sought by police for questioning.
For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.