- Duduzane Zuma has confirmed that he will deliver witness testimony at the state capture inquiry
- Zuma previously told the inquiry that he could not give testimony because he faced criminal charges at the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court
- The decision was welcomed by the state capture inquiry’s legal team
Duduzane Zuma will give testimony at the Commission of Inquiry into State Capture after all. Zuma has made a rather abrupt and dramatic U-turn on a previous statement in which he said he would not testify at the inquiry because he faced criminal charges in the Specialised Commercial Crimes Court.
Zuma’s decision which was announced on Monday was welcomed by the state capture inquiry’s legal team. The decision seems to be motivated in a request made by Zuma’s lawyers to cross-examine former deputy finance minister Mcebisi Jonas.
Zuma’s lawyers made a formal written request to the head of the inquiry Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo for permission to cross-examine Jonas.
Briefly.co.za gathered that Zondo has received multiple requests to allow witnesses to be cross-examined by those who they implicate in their testimony. Zondo is expected to announce his decision on the matter on Thursday
Jonas delivered damning testimony against Zuma at the start of the inquiry. Jonas told the inquiry that Zuma, who is known to have had business dealings with the Gupta family, was present when the Guptas tried to bribe him.
Zuma has denied being present at the meeting or facilitating the meeting. His lawyer told the commission that Zuma was being treated unfairly and was subjected to unlawful arrest when he initially returned to the country from Dubai to face charges of culpable homicide.
Zuma is being represented by Dawie Joubert who also acts as the legal representative for the Gupta brothers.
CityPress.co.za reported that on Monday the inquiry heard how the Gupta-owned New Age Media and Infinity Media received around R260 million in looted government funds. The inquiry heard from National Treasury official Jan Gilliland.
Gilliland explained how she had meticulously examined each bank account and discovered 11 bank accounts which had links to the Gupta empire.
Meanwhile, TimesLive.co.za reported that the men at the heart of the inquiry, the Gupta brothers, have refused to return to South Africa to take part in the inquiry.
Their legal representatives indicated that both brothers would be willing to deliver testimony via video link.
For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.