SA land reform programme won’t lead to international sanctions, says Cyril Ramaphosa

SA land reform programme won’t lead to international sanctions, says Cyril Ramaphosa

- President Cyril Ramaphosa is positive that no foreign country will impose sanctions on South Africa because of the land reform programme

- Speaking at the NCOP on Tuesday, Ramaphosa said more and more international leaders have come to understand the need for land reform

- Ramaphosa admitted he did not have any direct engagement with US President Donald Trump

PAY ATTENTION: Click "See First" under the "Following" tab to see Briefly news on your News Feed!

President Cyril Ramaphosa is positive that no foreign country will impose economic or political sanctions on South Africa because of the proposed land reform programme. Ramaphosa said more and more international leaders have come to understand the need for land reform.

Speaking at the National Council of Provinces (NCOP) on Tuesday, Ramaphosa said he was continually engaged in diplomatic efforts and these had born fruit with the support shown for land reform by British Prime Minister Theresa May and more recently the Belgian government has expressed its support in the matter.

READ ALSO: Cope and AfriForum join forces to oppose governments land expropriation plan

Ramaphosa admitted that he had not personally engaged with US President Donald Trump or anyone in the US administration but had left that role to the minister of international relations and cooperation Lindiwe Sisulu.

Briefly.co.za gathered that Sisulu recently held talks with Belgian deputy prime minister and foreign affairs minister Didier Reynders. Sisulu reported that Reynders had shown support for land reform and said he understood why South Africa had to enact reforms.

Ramaphosa said South African diplomats across the globe had been instructed to engage and inform the governments of their host nations. IOL.co.za reported that Ramaphosa said this was aimed at educating those who were opposed to land reforms about the need for transformation.

PAY ATTENTION: Save mobile data with FreeBasics: Briefly is now available on the app

Returning to the topic of Trump’s controversial tweet about land reform, Ramaphosa said Sisulu had engaged with the US government and sent a diplomatic memo to the US Consulate which indicated that the South African government was engaged in an extensive consultative process regarding land reform and was not embarking on reckless land grabs.

News24.com reported that Ramaphosa once again stated that his government would not tolerate or allow illegal land grabs to take place.

He added that robust debate would unmask the lies and falsehoods being spread by certain groups about the land reform process. Ramaphosa said most South Africans have come to support the idea of peaceful and orderly land reform.

He said the topic of land reform was one of the most emotive of our time but had sparked debate and a conversation in the country which was long overdue and would lead to South Africa healing the wounds of the past.

READ ALSO: Explainer: 11 facts about land expropriation without compensation

For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.

Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.

To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Proof linking SACP to VBS Looting has surfaced

Proof linking SACP to VBS Looting has surfaced

Proof linking SACP to VBS Looting has surfaced
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel