- Ettie was woken up by an explosion from a neighbour's house
- She realised her neighbour's house was on fire and quickly contacted emergency services
- Her quick intervention saved an entire family
A quick-thinking neighbour saved an entire family whose house had suffered an explosion and caught fire.
Ettie was woken up recently at around 3am by the explosion, Good Things Guy reports. She looked out the window and noticed that her neighbour's house was on fire.
She quickly pressed Namola's panic button. Namola is a cellphone app that sends GPS coordinates to a response centre, thereby facilitating speedy emergency response.
One of Namola's response centre agents, Lumka Ntamo, called Ettie within seconds and remained in touch with her as the situation unfolded.
Briefly.co.za learned that within just 15 minutes, firefighters, ambulances, and police officers had arrived at the scene.
Thanks to Ettie's quick action, the family that was trapped in their home was rescued, including their two dogs.
Ettie was extremely thankful that her intervention made a real difference in the lives of her neighbours.
She was also impressed by the emergency services' quick response. She explained:
That evening, from Namola, to the fire department, to the South African police, to the ambulance services — what I witnessed that night was astronomical, proudly South African and gave me so much confidence in this country.
I wish we could emulate what I witnessed there, in the whole of South Africa.
Discover African proverbs and their meanings in the video below from our Briefly - South Africa YouTube channel.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.