- Kaizer Chiefs have formally launched an appeal against the PSL Disciplinary Committee’s punishment for the infamous Moses Mabhida Stadium riot which took place in April
- The PSL ordered Kaizer Chiefs to play three matches behind closed doors with one of those suspended for a period of two-years
- Kaizer Chiefs football manager Bobby Motaung confirmed the club had appealed the punishment and the appeals process has been triggered
Kaizer Chiefs have formally launched an appeal against the Premier Soccer League (PSL) Disciplinary Committee’s (DC) punishment for the infamous Moses Mabhida Stadium riot which took place on 21 April this year.
The DC ordered Kaizer Chiefs to play three PSL matches behind closed doors meaning no fans would be permitted to enter the venue. One of those matches has been suspended for 2-years. This still means the club has to play two matches in KwaZulu-Natal with no fans being allowed to attend the matches.
Kaizer Chiefs football manager Bobby Motaung confirmed the club had appealed the DC’s decision and said the appeals process had now been triggered. Motaung said the club were waiting for the PSL to return a verdict.
Briefly.co.za gathered that earlier Kaizer Chiefs expressed shock by the severity of the punishment and said ultimately stadium security was not managed by club’s but by the venue. The club questioned how it could be held responsible for a lapse in stadium security.
Citizen.co.za reported that Motaung has warned Kaizer Chiefs supporters against purchasing tickets to the match which is scheduled to take place between his club and Polokwane City at Moses Mabhida Stadium on 6 October.
Sport24.com reported that Moses Mabhida Stadium management had earlier encouraged soccer fans to buy tickets to the match and said it would update fans on the situation as events unfold.
The punishment has the potential to deal a serious financial blow to Kaizer Chiefs who have an agreement with Moses Mabhida Stadium to act as a second home venue for the team.
Kaizer Chiefs are currently on a mini-break with their next scheduled match against Highlands Park only set for Tuesday 2 October. Head coach Giovanni Solinas has welcomed the break as an opportunity to further improve his side.
For more amazing, funny and informative videos, please visit Briefly South Africa's YouTube Channel.
Do you have a story to share with Briefly? Visit our Facebook page where you can send us a message or leave us a comment. Your story could be shared online.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on iTunes or GooglePlay today.