- SARS and Tom Moyane decided to withdraw a lawsuit of defamation against Adrian Lackay
- Lackay was the SARS spokesperson until 2015, when he wrote a letter in which he accused Moyane of deceiving the country
- It is not clear exactly what made Moyane and SARS withdraw the R12 million lawsuit
The South African Revenue Services and the suspended SARS commissioner Tom Moyane withdrew their R12 million defamation suit against Adrian Lackay, former spokesperson for SARS.
Lackay said that he received a written notice from Moyane on Thursday informing him that the legal proceedings have been withdrawn.
News24 reports that Lackay was also informed that SARS and Moyane will cover the legal costs.
The defamation case was triggered by a letter that Lackay submitted to the Parliament in 2015. Lackay also resigned from SARS in 2015, after working there for 11 years.
In the letter, named "Sars: This is the inside story", Lackay accused Moyane of willfully misleading the Parliament and South Africa.
The former SARS spokesperson also said there is no investigation unit that secretly spied on taxpayers. This put Lackay on Moyane's bad side because he had already suspended many important officials for allegedly being involved with this unit.
Lackay is disappointed that his allegations were never taken seriously. He added that many of his concerns were proven during the Nugent Commission of Inquiry into SARS.
Hear what Lackay had to say about the withdrawal here (forward the video 22 seconds into playtime):
Do you have news that might interest us? Message us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
Watch the MTV Video Music Award: Jennifer Lopez And A New Dress and check out what else is going on at Briefly South Africa's YouTube channel.