- The Catholic priest, who was accused of sexually assaulting a Limpopo man, released an official statement recently
- In the statement, the priest apologised to the man who said he abused him during a briefing
- The man said he waited nearly three decades to hear the priest say 'I am sorry'
On Thursday, the religious leader apologised to the man who accused him of sexual assault, adding he was sorry about the pain he caused the man.
TimesLIVE quoted the UK-based priest said, "I recognise that my behaviour towards Mr Segodisho in the 1980s violated the trust he had put in me as a Catholic priest."
The 84-year-old added he wanted to apologise to Mr Segodisho "unreservedly", Briefly.co.za learned.
The priest's apology followed William Segodisho's sexual assault allegations earlier this week. The 46-year-old claimed he was abused by the priest in the 80s at a press briefing in Joburg.
Segodisho has since responded to the priest's apology, adding he waited nearly 27 years to hear those important words from the religious leader.
“I welcome that‚ finally‚ my truth has been acknowledged and it is now officially affirmed that I am not the liar,” Segodisho wrote.
Segodisho added he was happy about the priest apology but the three decades the church and priest refused to admit the incident 'damaged' him beyond 'repair'.
The 46-year-old said only time would tell if he would be able to accept the apology and forgive the priest.
Do you have a story to share with us? Inbox us on our Facebook page and we could feature your story.
Policeman Joke on Briefly Cartoons! Have you been waiting for a new funny cartoon? We continue to share with you the pearls of African comedy. Visit Briefly's YouTube page to check out more cool videos.
To stay up to date with the latest news, download our news app on Google Play or iTunes today.