You are in the right place if you are looking for information on the best butternut soup recipe. If you do not know, butternut soup is one of the favorite meals for many South Africans. You will find out from the recipe for butternut soup described below that it is a meal that you can easily prepare at home easily. Keep reading to know more about the benefits of the butternut soup and the necessary ingredients that you will need. Many people have agreed that it is truly the best butternut soup recipe.
Interestingly, butternut soup has several health benefits. It contains elements such as protein, carbohydrates, sodium and calories. This meal is rich in dietary fiber that improves the functioning of the heart. The potassium element contained in the soup is also important as it promotes the health of the bones. Vitamins such as Vitamin B6 are also present in the butternut soup. This vitamin boosts the immune system and also improves the performance of the nervous system.
How to make butternut soup
Here is a list of the ingredients that you will need when making huisgenoot butternut soup recipe.
- 1.5Kg of butternut squash
- 2 finely chopped brown onions
- 2 garlic cloves that are chopped
- I teaspoon of lemon juice
- 0.25 liters of water
- 0.5 Liters of chicken stock
- 2 Green chilies or jalapeno
- Melted butter
- 0.25 liters of fresh pouring cream.
- Begin by peeling and piping the butternuts.
- Cut the butternuts into square shaped chunks. Preferably, let the chunks be 5 cm.
- Peel the onions, wash them thoroughly and chop them finely.
- Wash the garlic cloves and chop them finely. You can even press them for a finer texture.
- Cut the green chilies or the jalapeno pepper into two. Remove all the pips, and then chop the flesh finely.
- Place the melted butternut in a sauce pan.
- Add the finely chopped onions, garlic and jalapeno/green chilies into the sauce pan.
- Place this mixture on moderate heat.
- Let the mixture cook until the onions become transparent and soft.
- Next, add the chicken stock and lemon juice into the mixture, and mix all the ingredients properly.
- Add the water into the mixture. Then, add the butternut chunks. Let the mixture simmer until the soup becomes thick. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Your butternut soup is now ready and you can serve it when it is hot.
This is an easy butternut soup recipe that you can use to easily make butternut soup at home. The easy butternut soup recipe described above yields 2 litres of the soup. It does not take a long time to prepare the meal. You can take about 1 hour and 30 minutes and you are done. The meal can serve up to 8 people.
knowing that butternut is a popular meal in South Africa, people have devised different ways of preparing it to suit their taste buds. Notably, other ingredients such as bacon crumble, rosemary and coconut milk can be added to this soup to make it more delicious. Additionally, the soup can also be made to be creamy as is discussed below.
Butternut soup recipe with cream
Making butternut soup with cream is quite an easy process.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 chopped celery ribs
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cans of sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 3 medium, peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups milk
Creamy butternut soup recipe procedure
- Wash the onions and chop them into a fine texture.
- Chop the celery finely.
- Add butter into the saucepan, and then add the onions and the celery. Let the ingredients cook in the butter until they are soft.
- Next, add the cinnamon, sugar, bay leaf, ginger, turmeric and broth into the mixture and stir them well.
- Pour the squash and the potatoes into the mixture and let it boil.
- Let the mixture simmer for around 15 minutes until the vegetables become soft.
- Remove the food from the heat and let it cook.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- You should then blend the mixture in batches as you pour it back into the pan.
- Add the milk and sherry and stir.
- Heat it through and serve while hot.
The creamy huisgenoot butternut soup recipe is also very easy to prepare. The soup is usually very delicious and it is best to serve it when it is still hot. Butternut is quite versatile. You can play around with several ingredients to give you different tastes and flavors. While some people prefer to consume it on its own, you can eat it along with bread or any other meal of your choice.
Another tip that you can use when preparing butternut soup is to prepare the chicken broth with coconut cream. Many times, chicken broth is used but coconut cream can also give a different and delicious end product of the butternut soup. You can also vary the thickness of the soup. If you want it to be lighter and fresher, you can add orange juice from freshly squeezed oranges. In case you want the butternut soup to be spicy, add ingredients such as grated ginger and curry powder. You should try them to discover the one that would please you most.
Butternut soup is one whole bowl of happiness that you should definitely try cooking at home. The ingredients are also readily available, and you do not have to rob the bank to buy them. Also, the best butternut soup recipe is quite easy to follow, and the meal can be ready within a short time. The benefits are also numerous, making butternut soup a healthy choice.
- 12 easy spaghetti and mince recipes South Africa
- Crispy Eisbein recipe South Africa
- 7 easy mince recipes for dinner
- How to cook smoked Eisbein
- Peppermint crisp tart in a glass recipe