Whatsapp is a free and an easy-to-use messenger. Most importantly, it is a convenient way to communicate with friends, family, and co-workers. You probably have important messages and media on Whatsapp that you would not like to lose. So, what happens if you accidentally lose your Whatsapp conversations? Do you know how to restore WhatsApp chats? Read on to find out.
Losing WhatsApp data
You lose your Whatsapp chat history when:
- You format or flash your phone. When you do that, your phone loses all data stored in the internal memory.
- You change your phone. You will have to re-install the messenger on your new phone, thus losing your chat history.
- You accidentally delete your chat history. It is very easy to hit the ‘Delete chat’ option when you want to choose the ‘Add conversation’ option.
How to retrieve deleted Whatsapp chats
Whatsapp chats are stored in backup files on your phone and Google Drive for Android or iCloud for iOS. As such, it is easy to restore deleted messages.
Method 1: Whatsapp restore from Google drive or iCloud
Restoring Whatsapp from cloud storage is the easiest method to recover your lost data.
Follow the following steps:
- Check your last backup.
- To do this, open WhatsApp and then navigate to Settings.
- Select Chats and then Chat Backup.
- Check the Last Backup date and time.
- If the last backup includes the chats history you want to recover, continue with this method. If not, check the next method.
- Be careful not to back up your WhatsApp at this point as you will override the previous backup which could include the chat history you want.
- Uninstall WhatsApp. The restoring option only appears when you open the app for the first time.
- Reinstall the messenger from your app marketplace.
- Open the app, agree to the terms and conditions, and then enter and verify your phone number.
- Restore WhatsApp. On the next screen, the app will notify you if there is any backup available on iCloud or Google Drive, depending on your OS. If there is a backup, a Restore button will appear. Click on it and wait for the recovery process to complete. And, just like that, you will have your chat history restored.
Why did I not find a backup copy?
You might not find a backup Copy from Google Drive or iCloud for the following reasons:
- You are not using the same email account you previously used on your phone before losing the WhatsApp data.
- You have not verified the phone number you previously used in the messenger.
- The internal memory of your phone is corrupted.
- There is no chat history to be restored. You must set your WhatsApp to back up data for it to be restored. By default, WhatsApp creates a Backup daily.
Method 2: Restoring Whatsapp from a local file
WhatsApp retains backups from the past seven days on your phone’s memory. iCloud and Google Drive help restore the latest backup. However, there is a way to restore the previous backups stored on your device.
To recover WhatsApp chat history from a local file, follow the following steps:
- Open your app drawer and locate File Manager. On iPhones or iPad, you might have to download the File Manager from the App Store. After installation of the app, proceed with the following steps.
- Select SD Card. If you do not have external storage, select Phone Storage.
- Scroll down and tap on WhatsApp.
- Select Databases. If you cannot not locate Databases, go back and select Phone Storage instead of SD Card and vice versa.
5 .Find the backup file you wish to restore. The files are named msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12. The YYYY-MM-DD is the date of the backup.
6. Rename the backup you want to msgstor.db.crypt12. Please note, depending on the OS versions, these files might have earlier protocols such as crypt9 or crypt10.
7.Uninstall Whatsapp. As mentioned earlier, the option to restore WhatsApp is only available during the first setup of the app.
8.Go to your phone’s app market, App Store or Google Play Store, and install Whatsapp.
9.Open the app, agree to terms and conditions, and verify your number.
10.On the next screen, you will have the option to restore WhatsApp.
Moving Whatsapp messages to a new phone
You have a new phone – maybe it is an upgrade or someone snatched your old phone. Does that mean you lose all your Whatsapp chat history? Of course not. The following are the steps to follow to move your WhatsApp to a new phone.
How to recover WhatsApp history on Android
- Signup to the same Google account you used on your old phone.
- Install WhatsApp on the new device.
- Open WhatsApp, agree to the terms and conditions and verify your phone number.
- Finally, perform the WhatsApp backup restore. On the next screen, the app will display the latest backup available in your Google Drive account. Tap on Next and wait for the recovery process to complete.
How to restore WhatsApp chats on iPhone
- Add the iCloud account you used on your previous iPhone.
- Install WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Launch WhatsApp.
- After agreeing to the terms and conditions and verifying your phone number, the next screen will allow you to restore your latest WhatsApp backup on iCloud.
Unfortunately, if you are switching from Android to iPhone, you cannot restore WhatsApp backup. Android backups restores WhatsApp data through Google Drive. On the other hand, the backup of WhatsApp on iPhones is on iCloud. Even if you download Google Drive for Ios, you will still not be able to restore your chat history since the iOS WhatsApp is only integrated with iCloud.
How to backup WhatsApp chats
Restoring WhatsApp is highly dependent on backup. By default, the app creates backups on your phone's memory. However, you have to go to the app's settings to create Google Drive and iCloud backups.
How to backup WhatsApp on Android
- Open WhatsApp.
- Tap the menu icon (the three vertical dots) on the top right of the screen.
- Select settings and then tap on Chats.
- Select Chat backup.
- Under Google Drive settings, select your preferred backup frequency, the Google account to back up to, and whether to backup over Wi-Fi only or Wi-Fi or Cellular, and also whether to include videos in the backup.
Now, you can restore WhatsApp through Google Drive anytime you reinstall the app.
How to Backup WhatsApp on iPhone
- Launch WhatsApp on the iPhone.
- Navigate to Settings and then select Chat Settings.
- Open Chat backup.
- Select the duration for Auto Backup. Or, hit the Back Up Now button. Please note that iOS WhatsApp does not store video files.
Clearly, it is easy to recover deleted WhatsApp chats or restore your WhatsApp data on a new phone. However, it is worth your time preparing for such outcomes. Therefore, it is important to create WhatsApp backups on cloud storage such as Google Drive and iCloud. Do you know any other methods of how to restore WhatsApp chats? Let us know in the comments section.
- Bheki Cele goes back to basics and operates the phone at 10111 call centre
- Dad has giant iPhone tombstone made for his daughter who loved her phone
- Child killer enjoys luxury life in jail – cell phone, drugs, women