- The SABC's former COO, Hlaudi Motsoeneng, claims the broadcaster is obsessed with blaming him for its current financial crisis
- Motsoeneng alleges that the SABC's information regarding the annual salaries of its current top executives are also misleading
- The controversial former COO says under his leadership, the SABC was performing and added no one was retrenched
While the SABC faces massive losses and possible job cuts, its former COO, Hlaudi Motsoeneng has lashed out at its new leadership.
In a recent interview, the controversial former chief operating officer described the new SABC leadership as "clueless and obsessed with blaming" him for the current financial crisis.
In an interview with the Sowetan, Motsoeneng said it is possible to avoid retrenchments at the troubled broadcaster.
Motsoeneng is currently in a legal battle with the SABC his pension payout.
Briefly.co.za gathered that Motsoeneng believes the new leadership is misleading the public by sayong they're earning less than he did when he worked at the SABC.
Last week, we reported that while the South African Broadcasting Corporation is near crumbling, its top three executives are taking home salaries of R12.1 million combined annually. On Thursday, Nomvula Mokonyane, the minister of communication, confirmed the top three execs' salaries.
The CEO alone earns R5.1m, while the COO earns R4m and the CFO earns R3m, but Mokonyane said this was significantly less than previous top executives' salaries. President Cyril Ramaphosa earns R3.6m annually.
According to the minister, the executives' packages only accounted for 1.1% of the SABC's total salary spend.
At the time, the broadcaster said the former group CEO, James Aguma, was paid R7.2m. This also takes into consideration the payment made to Aguma for the early termination of his contract.
However, Motsoeneng says the SABC confused the public by indicating Aguma's separation settlement package as though it was part of his usual package.
The SABC also said Motsoeneng earned R3.8m annually, if his R11m bonus was not included. The previous CFO earned R4.1m.
Motsoeneng claims the information released by the SABC was misleading.
According to Motsoeneng, his entry level annual salary was R3.8m, while the former GCEO earned R4.6m and the former CFO earned R3m.
"The current COO is getting R4m-plus per annum, I was getting R3.8m so the information is misleading."
Motsoeneng believes the SABC has an obsession with blaming him for the current crisis at the broadcaster.
He claims the SABC was performing under his, and the previous leadership's guidance, adding that no one was retrenched. According to Motsoeneng, even with the 2000 possible retrenchments on the cards, the SABC still won't turn the tables around.
The former COO also laughed off the SABC's move to recoup R60m from employees who were necessarily appointed, and promoted, during his time at the broadcaster.
Neo Momodu, the broadcaster's spokesperson, said:
"The SABC would like to make it clear that Motsoeneng was the central figure in the complete financial and governance collapse of the corporation which the current executive is redressing."
Momodu claims the SABC has inherited more than R5.5bn in irreguar spending from Motsoeneng's time as an executive of the broadcaster.
"We are approaching the Labour Court to overturn irregular appointments made during his time at the SABC, which have cost the SABC a minimum of R60-million. His arbitrary and reckless 90/10 policy cost the SABC nearly R300-million in the year it was implemented."
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!