Dodgy dad absent for years but steals child’s SASSA grant since 2002

Dodgy dad absent for years but steals child’s SASSA grant since 2002

A dead-beat dad has spent more than R50 000 of his youngster's social grant cash over a time of 16 years while the mother struggled to provide for the child.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see News on your News Feed!

A Soweto mother, who can't be named to ensure her child’s privacy, said she was distressed in the wake of discovering that her oppressive ex had applied for and had been deceitfully spending the monthly social allowance intended for their son.

The disgruntled mother of 5 said, "He showed me the Sassa card and said I was stupid and useless. He said if I told the police what he did, I would be the one who goes to prison because he would tell them I knew about it. He said it was his right to have the money, because this is also his child."

The Sowetan Live reported the woman had been with the man since 1979 and finished their on-and-off relationship in 2008 following quite a while of physical and psychological mistreatment.

According to her, she tried her best to avoid him on a Friday night as he would return to home drunk and looking for a fight.

She said the absent father told her that he took their child's birth certificate and applied for a grant while she was on duty at her cleaning job in 2002.

READ ALSO: The ways Manchester City improved by not signing Alexis Sanchez

She went to the Tshiawelo Sassa offices in 2015 to apply for the grant herself after struggling to make ends meet.

Upon arrival, they informed her someone had been claiming the money since her child was a toddler.

She decided to speak out now because she had been struggling to change her child's surname to her own. It has proven to be a challenge as the father has been missing for a few years.

Thulisile Nhlapo, representative for minister of social development Susan Shabangu, said the mother had the option of blocking the card because she is raising the child.

"She must go to the nearest Sassa office and request to block the card. She should also open a case of fraud against the father and we can provide the financial proof to support her case," she said.

PAY ATTENTION: Save mobile data with FreeBasics: Briefly is now available on the app

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!


Mailfire view pixel