Mboweni says his war-threatening Twitter posts are nothing to worry about

Mboweni says his war-threatening Twitter posts are nothing to worry about

- Tito Mboweni, South Africa's Finance Minister recently shared tweets that did not sit well with South Africans

- In his tweets, Mboweni threatened war against editors, saying "If needs be, we will be forced into the fight, War!”

- However, Mboweni insists there is nothing to worry about, there is no threat

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

South Africa's Finance Minister, Tito Mboweni, made news for the wrong reasons last week. On Thursday, 8 November, Mboweni shared a series of tweets that really irked South Africans.

The tweets read like a war declaration against media editors, and people were not impressed.

Mboweni has since stated that the tweets are nothing to worry about, according to a report by News24.

PAY ATTENTION: Save mobile data with FreeBasics: Briefly is now available on the app

We have been in conversations with the SA National Editors' Forum. We have agreed to meet soon to discuss any issues that may have arisen from my communication. There is really nothing to worry about.

Mboweni had to address his tweets after the South African National Editors’ Forum released a statement in which it condemned his words.

READ ALSO: SA’s gift to the world: South African origins of ‘2 Minutes Silence’

The forum said it was disturbed by what Mboweni shared on social media.

Mboweni as a cabinet member is a custodian of our Constitution and has taken an oath of office to protect and uphold the Constitution that guarantees media freedom.

The Finance Minister insisted that there is no threat behind his words on social media.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Local airliner prevents quadriplegic man from boarding flight

Local airliner prevents quadriplegic man from boarding flight

Local airliner prevents quadriplegic man from boarding flight
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel