- Minister Bathabile Dlamini has recently made it clear that the media ( except for the SABC) is not welcome at her events
- The Minister was allegedly “offended” by eNCA trying to cover her at a recent event in KZN, reportedly banning them from entering the venue
- Evidently, the Minister has taken a page out of the EFF’s book, leader Julius Malema has also stated that he does not want the media to cover him or his events.
Bathabile Dlamini has taken a page out of Julius Malema’s book and banned the media from talking to her or cover her events.
The Minister for Women has allegedly banned the eNCA from entering a venue where she was launching the 16 Days of Activism Campaign in northern KwaZulu-Natal this Sunday.
A broadcaster reported that the Ministers communications team said they had been instructed by Dlamini that she would only speak to the SABC, claiming that it was “because they know the parameters”.
"The minister arrived on Sunday afternoon and instructed our team not to take any footage of her, saying she was offended that our camera person was pointing a camera at her," eNCA reported.
The news agency expressed their “deep concern” at being banned from an event of “national importance by a government minister”.
eNCA reported Thuba Vilane and cameraman Bongumusa Mkhize were filming the Ministers arrival at the event when Dlamini had approached their team and voiced her disapproval.
"Thereafter her chief of staff Palesa Mphamo made it expressly clear eNCA should not enter the hall where the event was being held," eNCA said.
"We reserve the right to ask questions of any publicly appointed representative, indeed we see it as our duty to do so. As a member of the media, it is our constitutional right to operate freely and without harassment. To be gagged in this way is of great concern, particularly as we head towards an election year," eNCA said in a statement.
The news agency has also said that it would be taking on Dlamini’s department as well as the Government Communication and Information System ( GCIS) “ to get answers and assurance that this will not be allowed to happen again”.
Dlamini’s spokesperson Mandla Tshabalala has not been available for comment on the matter. The GCIS, however, has released a statement denying the allegations on Twitter.
Briefly.co.za had reported earlier that Julius Malema has also chosen not to speak to media agencies, specifically the Sunday Times.
"I don't need [you] and [I'm] not scared of you and your racist owners. I respectfully and peacefully ask that you stop sending any of your journalists to interview me or to cover any of my events," Malema tweeted.
These events followed comments the EFF leader had made outside of the State Capture Inquiry last week.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!