- An ANC Councilor who was gunned down recently might be one of the first victims of the VBS Banking Saga
- The councilor had spoken out in a Facebook post against those who had been implicated
- According to Pastor Derick Mosoana the man had begun receiving death threats shortly after the post
The COSA group ( Christians of South Africa) has alleged that the recent murder of an ANC councilor earlier this week had been due to the fact that he had been calling for action against those implicated in the VBS scandal.
The group had released a statement on Tuesday which hailed that Thabang Maupa had been “known for his unshakable stand on the VBS scandal that left the municipality bankrupt and in … a leaderless state."
The group believes that the Burgersfort councilor's death had been politically motivated.
"His murder was politically motivated as he received death threats shortly after calling for decisive measures to be taken against his political seniors implicated in the VBS scandal. Cosa vehemently denounces any kind of prejudice and criminal activity based on political affiliation. We will not allow cowardly acts committed by faceless thugs to derail us from our efforts to stamp out corruption," said Pastor Derick Mosoana, head of the group.
"On his recent Facebook post he lambasted those that were silent in this trying VBS times calling for action and clarity from the mayor and the now suspended municipal manager," said Pastor Mosoana.
"We also invite the ANC leadership to lead the torch in bringing justice to the life of this young, vocal and selfless councilor by firing all its political management team for their direct involvement in the VBS saga."
According to a police spokesperson the councilor had gone to help his wife lock up their restaurant at around 7:30pm. After locking up their car had been approached by an unknown man who opened fire on them. Maupa ( 42) had been declared dead on the scene, his wife (40) had been wounded in the attack.
The motive for the attack, at least according to the police, is still unknown. No arrests have been made in this murder and attempted murder case, however, a reward to the amount of R50 000 has been offered to any information that leads to an arrest.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!