- The Former Gauteng Health MEC, Qedani Mahlangu, has been asked by the ANC to step down from her position on the Provincial Executive Committee
- This comes after mounting pressure to remove Mahlangu from the ANC
- Mahlangu is held responsible for the death of 144 patients who died during the Life Esidimeni scandal
Qedani Mahlangu, ex-Gauteng Health MEC has been kicked out of the ANC's Gauteng power structure, the Provincial Executive Committee (PEC).
Mahlangu was told yesterday of the ANC"s decision that it would be better for her to step down, according to a report by SowetanLIVE.
The decision was made by the ANC National Working Committee on a recommendation given by the Gauteng integrity committee.
However, Mahlangu still remains a member of the ruling party.
Pressure to remove the former Health MEC has been rising. The deaths of the Life Esidimeni patients are put on Mahlangu's shoulders.
The tragedy led to the death of at the very least 144 mental patients.
On Monday, 10 December, families of the patients who lost their lives, marched to the ANC's Luthuli House to demand that they be compensated.
Briefly.co.za reported earlier that Jack Bloom of the Democratic Alliance said the decision by the ruling party to keep Mahlangu in power shows that the party is morally bankrupt.
People have been calling for Mahlangu's resignation and removal from power since news of the Life Esidimeni tragedy:
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!