Meet Nelly Malinga, a restaurant manager who saved a boy's life

Meet Nelly Malinga, a restaurant manager who saved a boy's life

A Spur employee has been hailed a hero after she saved a little boy's life recently. Her story has since gone viral.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see News on your News Feed! discovered Lone Wolf Spur took to Facebook to publicly recognise Nelly Malinga, its store manager.

In a letter sent to the restaurant, a parent wrote:

"Good Afternoon

'I am writing this letter with gratitude in my heart for the care that was extended to my son when he took ill when we visited your Lone Wolf Spur on Wednesday evening of 28th November 2018 at around 19h00.

'My bible study group, myself and my 8 year old son (8 adults and 1 child), visited the Lone Wolf Spur on the said day as a final get together before everyone goes away on holiday. I have visited that particular branch several times because of its close proximity to my house and we also like the vibe and my son who enjoys playing in your play area.

'That particular day was no different than no other, until my son came back reporting he couldn't breathe. Initially, we thought he was choking on something but we hadn't eaten anything. As we tried to help him, our actions caught the sharp eye of Nelly, one of the managers at the establishment who saw what was happening.

"To cut a long story short, the problem was quite serious, my son was actually experiencing an asthma attack for the first time in his life. Since I never experienced him getting sick this way, I was confused and not understanding how to deal with it.

PAY ATTENTION: Save mobile data with FreeBasics: Briefly is now available on the app

"You can imagine the commotion. She calmed the situation and administered CPR on him after my trying mouth to mouth would not work. He started breathing again and two gentlemen I believe were doctors and patrons at the restaurant also came to assist when they saw what was happening.

"Nelly saved my son's life and at the same time managed to keep everyone including some onlookers calm. She remained calm, professional and advised us to take him to ER at Wilgehuiwel hospital even after he started breathing on his own. He is on chronic asthma medication and the hospital determined he suffered from an asthma attack.

READ ALSO: Rural girl with voice of an angel finally traced and Mzansi salutes

"He was placed on oxygen and monitored for a few hours before he was discharged. Without the first aid interventions of Ms Nelly, we could very well be telling a different story today. A big THANK YOU to her and I would like you as her employers to pass on our thanks and congratulate her on great job well done. God bless you all.”

Social media users praised Nelly:

Claudia Lynn Sharbel-Fahry commented: "Nelly Malinga, your quick reaction time and ability to keep calm has resulted in a family celebrating life and Christmas together. May God bless you and your family. May you be rewarded abundantly."

Lebo Malao wrote: "Nelly Malinga, you are a star. God bless your good heart darling and May His grace and blessings be with you always!"

Nelly then thanked everyone for their kind words: "Thank you very much to everyone I am proud of myself and my boss to give this training. I can't believe that I saved a boy's life. Thank God."

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!


Related news
SA's got talent on the streets: Buskers amaze with their insane skills

SA's got talent on the streets: Buskers amaze with their insane skills

SA's got talent on the streets: Buskers amaze with their insane skills
Mailfire view pixel