With so much negativity in the country, it's a pleasant change to see a few people making global news for positive reasons. These South Africans definitely held the flag high in 2018
Making waves locally and abroad in sport, business, innovation, music and film these South Africans have restored a little of the lost patriotism.
Here are the locals who went for world domination this year:
1. Thuso Mbedu
This actress secured yet another International Emmy Award nomination, the second one for her role in Isithunzi.
Playing Winnie in the series has stolen the hearts of not only the local but global community.
2. The Urine Brick Inventors
University of Cape Town students have created a world first- a brick made from urine.
The invention had been part of a project to build a more eco-friendly society.
The UCT civil engineering students had created the brick using urine as the main ingredient.
The aim had been to find a brick that could serve as an alternative to concrete and clay.
An astonishing 30 litres of urine is used to make one bio brick.
3. Aphiwe Dyantyi
This young Springbok wing has won Breakthrough Player of the Year at the World Rugby Awards in Monaco.
Other local nominees included Faf de Klerk, Malcolm Marx in the World Player of the Year category for the awards ceremony in November.
4. Women in Mining
An amazing sixteen local women made the Top 100 Inspirational Women in Mining list this year.
Elbowing out 642 nominees, the following women had been honoured by their peers for their contribution in the male-dominated industry.
- Thuthula Balfour (Minerals Council South Africa)
- Megan Becker (Centre for Mineral Research, University of Cape Town)
- Farana Boodhram (Avita Mining)
- Tzvet Ilarionova (Gold Fields Ltd)
- Nolundi Luthuli (ArcelorMittal)
- Thabile Makgala (Impala Platinum Holdings)
- Gargi Mishra (Accenture)
- Tebogo Mosito Mashego (Ditshogo Projects Pty Ltd)
- Deshnee Naidoo (Vendata Zinc International)
- Lindiwe Nakedi (Ginhabi Exploration)
- Wilhemina Ngcobo (Assmang Pty Ltd)
- Dineo Phaladi (Anglo-American PLC - Kumba Iron Ore)
- Maria Sanz Perez (AngloGold Ashanti)
- Makhosazana Sibisi (WaterBearer Sustainable Development)
- Stella Skosana (Bafokeng Rasimone Platinum Mine)
- Nompumelelo Zikalala (De Beers Consolidated Mines)
Rapper Sjava won his first BET International Award in Los Angeles earlier this year.
He had won the Viewers’ Choice Best International Act category alongside Kwesi Arthur and Niniola.
In a patriotic move he had made his country proud by wearing traditional Zulu attire to accept his award.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!