- The utility is pursuing criminal charges and civil claims against Tegeta
- Eskom says that Tegeta received R600 million in dubious payments from the SOE
- The Hawks will also investigate the matter
Eskom has laid charges regarding its coal supply contract with Tegeta, a company owned by the Guptas.
Additionally, civil claims will also be made against the company.
This comes after a report last year concluded that senior Eskom officials had broken the law by paying Tegeta a so-called "prepayment" of over R600 million.
The announcement was made Eskom's Jabu Mabuza, who has also previously appeared before the Zondo Commission regarding looting at the power utility.
Mabuza did not identify any individuals by name, but said that charges would be filed against several government officials, as well as Eskom executives.
The matter has since been handed over to the Hawks to investigate further.
This comes after Mabuza made allegations before the Zondo Commission against several senior officials, including former executives, Suzanne Daniels and Anoj Singh, according to the Sunday Times. Daniels, for example, is alleged to have leaked Eskom documents to outsiders.
Mabuza also outlined plans to root out corruption at the power utility. These include disbanding the tender committee in a move to ensure greater accountability.
He also mentioned additional plans to restructure Eskom in an attempt to reduce the likelihood of looting, such as increasing the powers and responsibility of the SOE's chief procurement officer.
Mabuza added that when he took over at Eskom as part of the new board, he found that employees' confidence in the utility was low. He said this was because Eskom was "the main theatre corruption and state capture took place".
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!