- Ace Magashule said the ANC was working on party unity
- This comes after several scandals rocked the party
- These include the shocking allegations against Zizi Kodwa and Pule Mabe
The ANC has said that it cannot guarantee it will face no more scandals before the May 8 elections.
This comes after both the party's spokespeople have been removed from their duties following sexual harassment and rape allegations.
The party's secretary general, Ace Magashule, made the comments while speaking to the media.
ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe has been accused of sexually harassing his former assistant, Kgoerano Kekana, as well as mistreating her when she declined his advances. While an internal investigation found him not guilty, Kekana has indicated that she may take the matter further.
Zizi Kodwa has been accused of drugging and raping a woman in Sandton in April last year.
The ANC has faced other internal scandals over the last few weeks. Recently, party members were forced to apologise to Public Enterprises minister Pravin Gordhan and Senzo Mchunu.
Magashule, however, promised that the party was working on becoming more united, according to Eyewitness News. Cyril Ramaphosa has made similar promises recently on the campaign trail. He says that factionalism within the ANC is being rooted out.
Additionally, several prominent ANC figures have been implicated in corruption and state capture at various commission of inquiry.
All of this has made more extensive bad press for the ruling party, which is predicted to see a continuing decline in support on election day.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!