Have you exhausted your gammon recipe ideas and you are in search of new methods that you can execute to get a new burst of flavour? Or are you simply looking for ideas on how to prepare gammon that you can try out with your family or friends? Depending on what the purpose of your search is, this article is dedicated to servicing you with different workable ideas that will not cost you so much. Also, you will find them very easy to follow and at the same time get the best experience that you desire.
There is so much that you can do other than just stuffing your gammon with cloves and blasting it in the oven. The interesting thing is that you do not have to wait until it is Christmas time before you prepare your gammon; it is a good dish that is worth making whether you are having a picnic or a birthday party. Apart from those, you may just want to have a nice time with your family by preparing it. Then, while there is a variety of glazes that you can use, in this article, we take a look at how to cook a gammon and different easy-to-follow procedures.
Smoked gammon recipe
When considering how to cook gammon, the truth is that there are no hard-and-fast rules to it. What is important is your level of creativity and the taste that you really want to have in your meal. As a versatile food, there are various steps that you can follow, and you will end up having a very delicious meal. Check out these recipes.
READ ALSO: 15 best braai ideas 2019
Smoked gammon, cloves, peeled potatoes and carrots, a big ball of onion, aluminum foil, olive oil. Then, you will need a tablespoonful of honey, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and balsamic vinegar.
Step 1 - Get a bowl filled with cold water and place the gammon inside overnight so that whatever excess salt that may be there would have been removed before the following day. If you also desire, you may place it in the refrigerator.
Step 2 - Boil some water in a big stockpot and then place the gammon joint inside the pot. Cover the pot and let it cook for about an hour over low heat.
Step 3 - Once you have achieved that, drain the water carefully, and afterwards, remove the skin from the gammon. Then, carefully put the cloves inside it.
Step 4 - Preheat your oven until 400 degrees Fahrenheit. While that is going on, chop the onion, carrots and potatoes, and put them into a frying pan. Drizzle the vegetables with the olive oil, and keep tossing until they coat.
Step 5 - Then, place the gammon inside the pan.
Step 6 - Make a glaze by mixing all of your tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, honey, and the Worcestershire sauce together. After that, spread everything over the gammon and cover the frying pan with an aluminum foil.
Step 7 - Allow your frying pan to stay in the oven while everything cooks for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Better still, wait until you are sure that it is fully cooked.
Step 8 - However, shortly before everything is fully cooked, say like 10 minutes to the time that you would remove the frying pan, remove the aluminum foil to allow the glaze expose to heat. When it does, it will darken.
Step 9 - At the end of all that, remove and enjoy your meal either hot or cold.
Ingredients: Smoked gammon joint, diet Coke, sliced red onion and garlic cloves, bay leaves, demerara sugar, and mustard powder.
- Place the gammon joint in a big stockpot together with other ingredients apart from the cloves.
- Cover everything after adding water and bring to boil over medium heat.
- Next, reduce the heat to allow for simmering and then allow it to cook for about an hour and fifty minutes.
- Preheat your oven until 400 degrees Fahrenheit while you remove the skin of your gammon joint with a sharp knife. As you remove the skin, remember to leave a good layer of fat attached.
- Mix the mustard powder and demerara sugar with about 2 tablespoons of the ham-braising liquid. The essence of this is to allow it to form a paste.
- After that, place the gammon in a roasting or frying pan and spread the whole mixture on it together with the cloves.
- Place everything in the oven and allow them to cook until it looks golden. But then, remember to strain the braising liquid. Reduce it so that it can thicken.
- You can enjoy your meal so well with mashed potato prepared with steamed green vegetables.
Gammon glaze ideas
Gammon glazed with honey
Ingredients: unsmoked boneless gammon joint, sliced onions, diced carrots, celery stalks that have been cut into pieces, bay leaves, black peppercorns, small cloves, runny honey, English mustard
1. In a large lidded saucepan, place your gammon joint filled with cold water and bring it to a boil over high heat.
2. Drain the water, add fresh cold water and all of the onions, carrots, celery, bay, and peppercorns. Then, wait until all the ingredients boil again.
3. After that, reduce the heat and simmer the gammon and vegetables for like 20 minutes.
4. Once you have done that, remove the gammon from the water and let it cool for some minutes.
5. While that is going on, preheat your oven to 200°C.
6. With a sharp knife, remove the rind from the gammon joint but make sure to leave as much of the fat intact as possible. Then, you can score the fat in a diamond-like pattern that will let you push a clove into the center of each of them.
7. Place it into a roasting or frying tray.
8. The next thing is to mix the honey and mustard together to make your glaze. Afterward, spread it over the gammon, cover the tray with aluminum foil and allow it to roast in the oven for like 20-30 minutes.
9. Once you see that the fat on top of the gammon is glossy and golden brown, that means it is ready. At this time, you can loosen the foil and let it roast a little more or until you notice that it is looking too brown.
Gammon glazed with Marmalade
Ingredients: Gammon, sliced onion, chopped celery stick and carrot, 2 bay leaves, cloves, peppercorns, peel-free marmalade, muscovado sugar, and Dijon mustard.
- In a large lidded saucepan, place your gammon joint filled with cold water and bring them to a boil over high heat.
- Drain the water and add another cold water to it. Also, add the stock vegetables, pepper and bay, and let it boil again.
- After that, reduce the heat to allow it to simmer for like two and a half hours.
- Once you have done that, remove the ham and let it cool for some minutes. Then, preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Mix the whole of marmalade, muscovado sugar and Dijon mustard together, and put everything in a small saucepan. Stir everything over low heat until the whole mixture has melted.
- With a sharp knife, remove the skin on the gammon joint but make sure to leave a thin layer of fat. Then, you can score the fat in a diamond-like pattern that will let you push a clove into the center of each of them.
- Use a brush to apply the glaze on the gammon and put everything in the oven for like 45 minutes. You can occasionally remove the ham and baste with more glaze until you are sure that everything is set.
What should I serve with a gammon joint? If you want to enjoy it so well, you can eat it with homemade bread or chutney. If you are going to eat it hot, you can do so with buttered cabbage.
Apricot jam glaze for gammon
Ingredients: cooked gammon joint, apricot jam, Dijon mustard, and brown sugar.
- Preheat your oven until 180°C.
- With a sharp knife, carefully remove the rind from your gammon. Then, score the fat in a diamond-like pattern.
- Add a quarter cup of water inside a roasting or frying pan while you place the ham joint on a wire rack in the pan. Ensure that it is placed at the center.
- Mix all of your apricot jam, Dijon mustard and brown sugar together in a saucepan, and place over low heat. Keep stirring everything until you are sure that they are all combined.
- You can use a brush to coat the glaze over the ham joint but ensure to leave a little of the mixture behind.
- The next thing to do is to roast it for about 50-60 minutes or until you start getting a golden brown colour.
- After that, apply the remaining glaze every 20 minutes until you have exhausted everything.
- Remove the ham from the oven and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Then, you can slice and serve. However, if you want it hot, it goes well with a chilled drink of your choice.
Whether you want to eat it hot or cold, you will find any of the delicious collection of gammon recipes that have been shared above interesting for you. Apart from that, from all that has been discussed so far, you must have noticed that being creative is all that matters when it comes to preparing your gammon joint. So, we hope you find any of the processes worth trying out and the result worth the trial eventually.
READ ALSO: Easy lemon meringue recipe South Africa