Gauteng health MEC says there's no more funds to treat foreigners

Gauteng health MEC says there's no more funds to treat foreigners

Gwen Ramokgopa, MEC for Health in Gauteng, has announced that additional funding to treat foreigners is no longer available. The department will now need full payment from those who seek medical attention from public hospitals and clinics.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Gauteng MEC for health, Gwen Ramokgopa, has announced that funding for the treatment of foreigners at public hospitals is no longer available.

Ramokgopa says that there was no allocation in this year's budget for what she deems as huge numbers.

According to the MEC, the Minister of Health, Aaron Motsoaledi, recently visited the province and acknowledged the situation.

PAY ATTENTION: Save mobile data with FreeBasics: Briefly is now available on the app

READ ALSO: Mbalula takes on the SABC over low ANC coverage ahead of elections

According to the Sunday Times, a circular had been sent to the heads of various departments, explaining that all non-South African citizens should be considered full-paying patients, with the exception of refugees who can produce valid documentation.

Briefly.co.za gathered that Barbara Creecy, the province's Finance MEC, is expected to deliver her provincial budget tomorrow. Creecy had broken the norm last year when she had announced that 38% of the total budget for the province would go to the health department. Previously, education had been the highest allocation.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Ramaphosa adamant that heads must roll after train arrives hours late

Ramaphosa adamant that heads must roll after train arrives hours late

Ramaphosa adamant that heads must roll after train arrives hours late
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel