Funza Lushaka bursary program aims at promoting teaching as a profession. These bursaries are available to offer funds that help students pursuing the teaching profession as something of national significance and priority. Upon graduation and completion of their studies, the beneficiaries of the bursary are required to work at public schools for the number of years in which they received the bursary support.
All aspiring students must go through the Funza Lushaka online application, which they must do every yearly. It is also required that they fill in the placement information annually. The responsibility of placing a bursar on a suitable post rests on the provincial education department which should find a suitable post for the candidate. If no suitable place is available, the same department will place the candidate on an unsuitable post. It is important to note that the bursar cannot choose a preferred location, and cannot be transferred once posted.
Applying for the Funza Lushaka bursary
The Funza Lushaka bursary 2019 application process is simple. All you have to do is follow these nine steps below:
- Go to the government's e-portal at www.eservices.gov.za
- Supply your personal information to register
- Using the password and user name you just registered in the step above, log in to the system.
- Go to the e-service menu and select Funza Lushaka bursary scheme
- Key in the OTP on the preferred channel
- You must accept the terms and condition; it is advisable to read them so that you can understand everything.
- Click on 2019 application on the dashboard menu.
- Follow the prompts and complete the necessary fields by filling in your information.
- Accept the declaration as a confirmation that every information you have captured is true.
How to apply and progress status
Candidates can apply for the loan once they have been accepted at the university of choice. This is necessary since the Funza Lushaka application form 2019 found online requires the student's number for the application. In case you are worried about your Funza Lushaka application status after application, you can rest easy knowing that the outcome of your application will come through your university. Additionally, you will also receive a letter from the Department of Basic Education. You should always have a valid phone number and email address since the bursary program will constantly communicate via sms and emails.
Funza Lushaka bursary requirements
The Funza Lushaka bursary program is a move by the government to offer quality education through the Department of Basic Education and National Treasury which funds it, and the National Student Financial Aid which administers the funds. This is as a result of the realization that the success of the country depends on quality education. It is important therefore to support teachers who will in turn shape the future of the youth.
The bursary is valid on a yearly basis which means that successful applicants must reapply if they want the scheme to cover their full cost of education.
The bursaries are awarded to students who qualify for the following programs:
- Bachelor of Education (BEd)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Priority Area Subjects
Foundation Phase (Gr R-3, ages 5-9):
- Foundation phase specialization
Intermediate Phase (Gr 4-6; ages 10-12):
- African Language
- English Language
- Natural Sciences
Senior Phase (Gr 7-9; ages 13-15):
- African Languages
- English Language
- Natural Sciences
FET Phase (Gr 10-12; ages 16-18):
- African Languages
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Technology
- Civil Technology
- Computer Applications Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- English Language
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Mathematical Literacy
- Mechanical Technology
- Physical Sciences
So, what are the basic requirements for application?
To qualify for the Funza Lushaka online application 2019 or in years to come, you must meet the following requirements.
- You must be a South African citizen who holds a valid ID
- You must have passed and already been accepted to an appropriate field of study at an institution of higher learning that is recognized.
- You must be committed to and enthusiastic about a professional teaching career. In addition you must be interested to work with young people, and show a readiness to face, deal with, and overcome numerous challenges along the way.
- You must be a person with high integrity
In case you are a first-time applicant;
- You must have completed the matric with an exemption, endorsement or admission to a Bachelor Degree study
- You must have attained a Level 4 pass / 60% (SG) or 50% (HG) for a matric subject which leads to the priority area.
- Anyone with an interest in pursuing foundational areas, the qualifications include: - a passing grade in Mathematics/Mathematics Literacy (if the individual matriculated before 2008 when Maths was not compulsory, an overall good performance—average of 50%—may still be considered), and a Level 4 pass / 60% (SG) or 50% (HG) in home language.
- You need a pass in Maths or Math Literacy to pursue technology courses if you did not take them at matric level
- Individuals that are already at the university or are enrolling for PGCE: You must have passed in the modules taken during the last semester, and also have attained a minimum of 55% average across all modules studied in the previous year.
- Exciting bursars that are reapplying must have attained a minimum of 50% in all modules and should be proceeding to the next year of study.
Details you need to know about the bursary
There are certain details about the bursary program that you need to understand:
- For undergraduate (1): The bursary option encompasses a four-year Bachelor of Education degree, with 5 phases of specialization.
- For Undergraduate (2): The option available for students that wish to pursue a 3 to 4 year degree program that allows them to proceed to one-year PGCE .
- Graduates: The option here is that funding is available to students that have qualified for PGCE after successfully completing their degrees and graduating in their major areas.
For all the 3 qualifications above, students must choose at least one priority area that they will specialize in as teachers. In addition, they must specialize in certain phases for their Bed and PGCE qualifications.
What is the coverage of the bursary?
Students applying for the Funza Lushaka bursary should know that after a successful application, they will be supported in the following areas:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation costs (for either residence or approved accommodation)
- A Small monthly allowance to cater for basic living expenses
- In exceptional circumstances, traveling costs may be included in the cost of traveling hiders the student from accepting the bursary
It is necessary to note that once a student qualifies, they need to take up a teaching job in a public school in a province of choice. They should accept to work in any province they will be posted if no chance is available at their preferred province. No gap year is allowed upon qualification.
In case their are any questions, students should get assistance at the university of their choice. You can also contact the Department of Basic Education if the administrative coordinators are not of help to you.
Dates and contacts
The application for the 2019 bursary is already closed which means that interested students should look out for 2020. The application as opened on October 2018 while the reapplication close dates were given in 23rd November 2018. New applications were also closed on 11th January 2019. With limited space available, applicants area advised to pursue other funding opportunities. If you applied in time then check your status from the university at a date not later than 30th April 2019.
You can always reach out to the bursary program though the regional coordinators at the different universities or visit their offices in the department of basic education. Alternatively, you can always contact them through their website. There is also a Facebook page that you can visit: Funza Lushaka KZN page.
Clearly, the Funza Lushaka bursary program is a great opportunity for teachers to be groomed for future generations. Apart form guaranteed employment for the graduates, the government is assured of qualified and well trained teachers who are absorbed in public institutions. It is a win-win.
- A dream come true: Activist, 50, accepted to study law at UCT
- Who is the student who cleaned up EFF's litter in viral video?
- Graduate takes to social media to celebrate her victorious pass