- A cash-in-transit guard was startled as the lights went out and dropped the cash box he was carrying, which subsequently exploded
- Video footage of the incident shows a cloud of smoke and people fleeing in the background
- The incident reportedly occurred at Southgate Mall in Johannesburg
The city of Johannesburg was hit hard by various power outages on Friday.
The Southgate Mall was affected by the power failure and it resulted in a challenging situation.
Reports indicated that a cash-in-transit guard was so startled by the power failure that he dropped a cash box, obviously being on high alert while doing his job.
It was said that the box subsequently exploded near one of the stores in the mall.
Video footage indicates customers fleeing with smoke in the background.
Security staff requested that the 'cameraman' stop filming the incident.
Briefly.co.za understands the smoke may not be as a result of an explosion but a mere safety mechanism built into the box.
South Africans took a keen interest in the video as it’s already been viewed 59,000 times on the Intelligence Bureau SA Facebook page.
Matthew Tyler Saunders asked, “How can people laugh at this, imagine what those guards must feel? To have such anxiety that you're living on edge constantly. I feel for them because in this country, getting another job is not an option.”
Ibrahim Incesu asked, “Why dosent it ever explode when a criminal running with the box it could be the best news?”
Chris van den Heever said, “Does not EXPLODE it sets of a smoke alarm device is called a CPC.”
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY’s news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!