Conor McGregor, former 2-weight UFC champion, announces retirement

Conor McGregor, former 2-weight UFC champion, announces retirement

- Conor McGregor, former UFC champion, has announced retirement after a career that lasted a little over one decade

- The Irish fighter won the Ultimate Fighting Championship featherweight and lightweight titles during his career

- McGregor lost his only boxing fight against Floyd Mayweather in August 2017

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Mixed martial arts fighter and former two-weight UFC champion, Conor McGregor, has announced his retirement from the sport.

The 30-year-old Irish fighter made the announcement on social media in the early hours of Tuesday.

McGregor last featured in the combat sport in October 2018 when he was beaten by Khabib Nurmagomedov after the Russian won the lightweight contest in the fourth round.

PAY ATTENTION: Do you want to know what's trending on Briefly.co.za? Join our WhatsApp group today.

"I've decided to retire from the sport formally known as 'Mixed Martial Arts' today," he said.
"I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement. Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!"

'Mystic Mac', as he is fondly referred to in the rings, established himself as one of the leading fighters in the sport.

McGregor fought just one boxing fight against Floyd Mayweather but lost out on knockout to the American boxer and earned estimated R444,26 million in the process.

He fought 25 professional UFC fighters and won 21 - ending 18 of those bouts in knockouts and losing just four in the process.

READ ALSO: David Beckham's hilarious fake statue prank will leave you in stitches

In 2018, a court instructed McGregor to have anger management training and perform five days of community service for criminal charges being dropped after he had attacked a bus containing rival UFC fighters.

Earlier this month McGregor was arrested in Miami for allegedly smashing a fan's phone as they tried to take pictures of him.

The 30-year-old and the supporter were spotted exiting Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel on Monday during which the fan tried taking pictures with the fighter, according to a police report.

He was was said to have slapped the phone off the fan's hand and then angrily stepped on the phone several times.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Related news
Briefly.co.za
Mailfire view pixel