- Sri Lanka’s deputy defence minister, Ruwan Wijewardene, says an initial probe into the deadly suicide bomb attacks in the country shows they were carried out in "retaliation for Christchurch"
- In the New Zealand city of Christchurch, 50 people were killed in shooting attacks on two mosques on March 15
- Sri Lankan police say 40 people have been arrested in connection with the attacks which are the worst atrocity since the end of the country’s civil war
- The office of the country's president, Maithripala Sirisena, said intelligence showed that the local perpetrators were propped by international terror groups
The Sri Lankan deputy defence minister, Ruwan Wijewardene, has disclosed that an initial probe into the deadly suicide bomb attacks that killed more than 300 people in the country showed that the attacks were in "retaliation for Christchurch".
The minister made the disclosure during an address to parliament on Tuesday, April 23, ndtv.com reports.
Briefly.co.za gathers that he said: "The preliminary investigations have revealed that what happened in Sri Lanka (on Sunday, April 21) was in retaliation for the attack against Muslims in Christchurch.”
In the New Zealand city of Christchurch, 50 people were killed in shooting attacks on two mosques on March 15.
For three minutes on Tuesday, starting at 8:30am, Sri Lanka fell silent to honour those killed, in a national day of mourning. People bowed their heads and reflected silently as flags on government buildings were lowered to half mast.
Shortly after the silence was observed, a police spokesman said the death toll had risen to 310, with several people dying of their injuries overnight.
A state of emergency has been imposed by the Sri Lankan government, which stated that an ISIS group was behind the violence. As a result of the state of emergency, suspects can be detained without a court order.
The first memorial services for the victims, among them dozens of foreigners, were being held Tuesday, and a few dozen people held candles and prayed silently at St Anthony's Shrine in Colombo where scores died as they gathered for Easter Sunday prayers.
An elderly man was seen weeping uncontrollably by the coffin bearing the body of his wife at St Sebastian’s Church in Negombo, north of the capital.
Sri Lankan police said that 40 people have been arrested in connection with the attacks which are the worst atrocity since the end of the country’s civil war.
The attacks were also the worst ever against the country's small Christian minority, who make up just seven percent of the 21 million population.
Cabinet minister and government spokesman, Rajitha Senaratne, says investigators are now hunting for clues on whether the local Islamist group named as the chief suspect - National Thowheeth Jama'ath (NTJ) - received international support.
According to the minister, it wasn’t possible for such "a small organisation" to carry out such well coordinated suicide strikes.
The office of the Sri Lankan president, Maithripala Sirisena, said intelligence showed that the local perpetrators were propped by international terror groups. The president said he would seek foreign help to investigate.
Meanwhile, Briefly.co.za previously reported that Denmark’s richest man Anders Holch Povlsen, lost three of his four children in the horrible attacks in Sri Lanka.
The ASOS owner was reportedly on Easter holiday with his four children, but he survived with one of his kids. A spokesperson for Povlsen confirmed the deaths but did not reveal which of the children died in the attack.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!