Sri Lankan police chief resigns over failure leading to Easter attacks

Sri Lankan police chief resigns over failure leading to Easter attacks

Pujith Jayasundara, Sri Lanka’s inspector-general of police, has resigned over intelligence failures that to several bomb attacks on Easter Sunday, 21 April.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

The country’s president, Maithripala Sirisena, made the resignation announcement on Friday after over 200 people were killed in eight different explosions in the country, The Journal reports.

Sirisena said: “The IGP has resigned. He has sent his resignation to the acting defence secretary. I’ll nominate a new IGP soon.”

The president had earlier called for his resignation together with the defence chief earlier in the week, over reports that there were intelligence failures before the Easter attacks.

PAY ATTENTION: Do you want to know what's trending on Briefly.co.za? Join our WhatsApp group today.

Catholic churches in Sri Lanka have put all public services on suspension over security fears as whereabouts of several suspects remain unknown.

A senior Catholic priest said all the churches will be closed on the advice of the security forces in the country.

While private services for burials will be conducted, no public mass will be held until further notice and as advised by the security agencies.

Security outfits in the country recently made more arrests of suspected connected with the suicide bombings that claimed 359 lives as pressure mount on the government over its earlier intelligence failure.

READ ALSO: Fact check: Are unemployed citizens' calls for jobs being ignored?

Briefly.co.za also gathered that Zahran Hashim, a radical Islamic cleric, who is known for posting inciting videos on Youtube, has been accused of being one of the bombers who attacked the Shangri La hotel in Colombo.

It should be recalled also that Hashim once wanted to attack the Indian High Commission in the capital of Sri Lanka on Thursday, 4 April, but failed.

A US official earlier told CNN that those behind the coordinated blasts which claimed 290 lives and left many wounded were influenced by ISIS.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel