- The damage caused by last week's floods in KwaZulu-Natal stands at over R1 billion
- Additionally, 70 people have been confirmed dead
- However, provincial government says that assessments of the full extent of the damage are still ongoing
The KwaZulu-Natal floods last week which left 70 people8 de have reportedly caused R1.1 billion in damage.
The province's premier, Willies Mchunu, made the announcement on Monday.
Mchunu also said he was calling on Cyril Ramaphosa to declare a state of disaster in the province.
Mchunu made the statement during a press briefing on Monday, following an emergency meeting of the eThekwini Municipality executive committee over the weekend.
He added that KwaZulu-Natal could not cope with the damage caused by the flood on its own, according to IOL.
Additionally, Mchunu announced plans to restore the damaged areas where voting was set to take place during the 8 May elections.
He also provided further details as to the extent of the flood's impact. At least 235 homes have been reported as damaged. 50 people have been injured and 1 659 have been displaced. Additionally, two people are still missing, with search operations currently underway to attempt to find them.
However, the provincial government has said that assessments of the full extent of the damage are still being conducted. Once these are concluded, the presidency will determine the amount of funds to set aside for the restoration efforts, Briefly.co.za has gathered.
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!