Woman wakes up from coma after 27 years, son was 4 when she fell in

Woman wakes up from coma after 27 years, son was 4 when she fell in

For close to three decades, Munira Abdulla of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) was in a coma, and now the 59-year-old has woken up to the joy of her family.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

A United Arab Emirates (UAE) woman who went into a coma after she was injured in an accident in 1991 has now woken up from the 27-year-long coma.

When she fell into her coma, Munira Abdulla was 32. She was in a car driven by her brother-in-law after she had picked up her son from school.

According to Celebritiesbuzz.com, during the short journey, the car she was travelling in collided with a bus.

Abdulla's son, Omar Webair - who was then just four years old - had been sitting in the back of the vehicle with his mother, but he was unscathed because his mother cradled him in her arms moments before the accident.

PAY ATTENTION: Do you want to know what's trending on Briefly.co.za? Join our WhatsApp group today.

In an interview with UAE-based newspaper, The National, Webair revealed the details about the accident and his mother’s progress following years of treatment.

Webair was quoted as saying: “I never gave up on her because I always had a feeling that one day she would wake up.”

He added: “The reason I shared her story is to tell people not to lose hope on their loved ones; don’t consider them dead when they are in such a state.

“My mother was sitting with me in the back seat. When she saw the crash coming, she hugged me to protect me from the blow.”

READ ALSO: Kind strangers help elderly couple change flat tyre, Mzansi reacts

Webair spoke of how his mother was left untreated for hours after the accident. She was eventually taken to hospital and later transferred to London. There, she was declared to be in a vegetative state but sensitive to pain.

Abdulla was then returned to Al-Ain, a city in the UAE on the border with Oman where she lived, and moved to various medical facilities according to insurance requirements.

She remained there for a few years, fed through a tube and kept alive. She underwent physiotherapy to ensure her muscles would not weaken through lack of movement.

In 2017, the family was offered a grant by the Crown Prince Court, a government body in Abu Dhabi, for Abdulla to be transferred to Germany.

There, she underwent a number of surgeries to correct her severely shortened arm and leg muscles, and she was given medication to improve her state, including her wakefulness.

Munira Abdulla is now up and her family is grateful for that.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel