- Man United have dropped to second as world's most valuable brand in football, with Madrid taking the top spot
- This is despite the two clubs enduring a difficult campaign in the 2018/19 season after going without a trophy
- The new report released by Brand Finance however has Premier League clubs dominating the top 10 list
Real Madrid have surpassed Manchester United as the most valuable football brand in the world, with the Premier League giants dropping to second in a new report.
According to the report released by Brand Finance, Madrid are now worth a whopping £1.44 billion, posting a growth of 26.9% since 2018.
Man United's poor campaign in the just concluded 2018/19 season saw them rank second in the new rankings with a drop of 5.8% in the past year.
"Real Madrid have shown this year who truly reigns supreme in the world of football," said Bryn Anderson, director at Brand Finance.
"The most successful club in the history of European football is finally reaping the benefits of decades of spectacular on- and off-pitch performance," he added.
The new list however has Premier League clubs dominating, with league champions, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham making the top 10.
Having sealed two consecutive Champions League finals, Liverpool achieved an impressive 20% growth, and are now said to be worth £1.04 billion to rank sixth.
Chelsea, Arsenal and Tottenham complete the top 10 list with the Gunners falling by 0.8% to £773 million.
Here is the top 10 list of the most valuable football brands in the world:
1. Real Madrid - £1.44bn
2. Manchester United - £1.29bn
3. Barcelona - £1.22bn
4. Bayern Munich - £1.15bn
5. Manchester City - £1.10bn
6. Liverpool - £1.04bn
7. Chelsea - £846m
8. PSG - £799m
9. Arsenal - £773m
10. Tottenham - £662m
Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY’s news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!