JHB city manager admits to approving demolition of Alexandra homes

JHB city manager admits to approving demolition of Alexandra homes

Ndivhoniswa Lukhwareni, Joburg city manager, has taken responsibility for the destruction of 80 Alexandra homes, sparking protests in the area. Lukhwareni told the inquiry into the matter that he had the understanding that the homes had been either incomplete or unoccupied.

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Briefly.co.za News on your News Feed!

Ndivhoniswa Lukhwareni has admitted to approving the demolition of Alexandra homes, sparking public outrage.

The Joburg city managed told the inquiry into the matter that he had understood the structures to either be incomplete, unoccupied or both.

This comes as the inquiry into the socio-economic conditions in the township investigates both possible violations of human rights and allegations of corruption in the R1.3 billion Alexandra Renewal Project, Briefly.co.za reported.

PAY ATTENTION: Do you want to know what's trending on Briefly.co.za? Join our WhatsApp group today.

READ ALSO: Inquiry effected to probe authorisation the destruction of Alex homes

The Citizen reports that the controversial incident has become a political spate between the ANC-led provincial government blaming the DA- led city administration for the demolitions.

Meanwhile, Lebogang Maile, Gauteng MEC for human settlements, visited the affected area to ensure more than 160 families were assisted with dinner and food supplies.

Protests, sparked by the demolition carried out by the Red Ants, have seen Gautrain operations blocked on Friday.

Enjoyed reading our story? Download BRIEFLY's news app on Google Play now and stay up-to-date with major South African news!

Source: Briefly.co.za

Mailfire view pixel